HDMI sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by biml123, Nov 28, 2011.

1. biml123 macrumors newbie

I have a macbook pro and use a mini dvi to hdmi cable to plug into my tv using hdmi.

i can get the display working fine but i cant get the computer to detect the speakers of the TV through the hdmi cable.

however using someone else's macbook pro, the speakers are detected.

any ideas how i can use the TV speakers through the hdmi cable on my macbook pro? im doing the exact same things on both computers but it just wont work on mine.

the other macbook pro is slightly newer (about a year) but both are updated to the same OS

all help is much appreciated thank you

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Check

Settings:

System Preferences > sound > change output to HDMI or external.

3. trikky macrumors regular

+1. I also found that it is best to plug in the adapter/cord first, then turn on the TV. Dependng on where the audio is from, that may have to be done before the application starts.

4. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Mid-2010 MBP was the first MBP to output audio over the mini-DP port.

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Plug everything in then start the movie..you'll get video bu no audio if you do it any other way..

6. biml123, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

biml123 thread starter macrumors newbie

if this is true then i dont think mine will do it, when i go to settings>audio>output i dont get the option to switch to the tv.

is there anyway i can get around this problem using other programs etc?

EDIT:

i am trying to avoid using additional cables

7. Heavertron macrumors regular

I believe using an HDMI to DVI adapter looses the audio, as DVI does not carry audio.

8. biml123 thread starter macrumors newbie

it does as using another newer macbook pro i can get the sound to come through the cable.

just to be clear im using one of these http://tinyurl.com/btxezw8 then a standard hdmi to the TV

9. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

The confusion is that you keep calling it a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter, when it is in fact, a mini Display Port to HDMI adapter.

There is no way around your problem without a very expensive adapter (and still another cable). I would recommend either getting a mini-jack (headphone) to RCA adapter, or if your TV/Receiver support it an optical audio cable.

I recommend www.monoprice.com

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Most likely, your MacBook Pro is one of the models that does not support audio out of the Mini-DisplayPort jack (you don't have Mini-DVI, as another poster clarified). You'll need to simply run a cable for audio, or get one of the more expensive adaptors that builds in USB audio as well.

jW

11. biml123 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok tyvm guys, sorry for the confusion. i appreciate you all helping :)

12. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

You will get sound out of your MDP if its 2010 or newer..and you do what I said...I promise...I watch netflix with my daughter all the time just like your doing..I did on my '10 MBP and do on '11MBP and '10 MB