HDMI switch from Monoprice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Outrigger, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I have a 24" LG monitor at 1920 x 1200 res. connected to my PC. I also have a mbp with specs in my sig.

I bought the apple bluetooth keyboard as well as the mstand, so my goal is to hook up the mbp to the LG as either an extended or mirror it.

Now there is only 1 HDMI port on the LG, so I bought http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=4088&seq=1&format=2 which is a 4 x 1 switch from monoprice. Also picked up the MD to HDMI adapter.

Now the problem I'm encountering is when I hook it up, nothing shows on the LG monitor, yet if I do extended screen, I can move my mouse cursor off the screen which means that it does indeed work.

At first, I thought it might be a defective unit or adapter, but if I just run the PC through the switch to the LG then it works, or if I connect the mbp directly to the LG it works, so its not a defective adapter, cable or switch.

Does it have to do with the resolution then?

LG is 1920 x 1200, mbp is 1440 x 900. the description on monoprice says it can handle up to 1080p.

Just trying to share the LG between the PC and mbp sometimes. would hate to connecte disconnect cable every single time. Anyone have any experience or clues? Thanks.

2. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I also got a 4x1 HDMI switch from Monoprice (not sure which model). When I tried to connect my Blu-ray player through it, I got HDMI errors from the player. I then connected my AppleTV and Roku NetFlix player through it. The Roku worked fine, but the AppleTV was intermittent. I changed the resolution on the AppleTV to 720P (from 1080p) and it then worked fine (I figured the AppleTV can only really do 720p anyway, so no big deal).

So, yes, it easily could be a resolution thing.

3. Outrigger thread starter macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Yes, I forgot to mention that when I hook up my cable set up box via HDMI, I also got an HDMI error message while the picture is playing in the back for a few seconds then black. Gonna give monoprice a call to see if its indeed a resolution limit. I honestly can't believe it would only be limited to 1080.