HDMI Switch that can turn on tv with Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kristoffer4, Jun 16, 2012.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Does a switch that can turn on my tv(on the HDMI input) when the Apple TVs is activated exist?
    I know Apple TV doesn't have CEC so that seems to be the problem.

2. Fynd macrumors 6502

A universal remote with 1 button activities is probably your best bet.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

ATVs have the funny habit of waking up periodically.

4. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

Yep, doubt there's any way to make this work predictably; the ATV is just too unpredictable.

My suggestion as well. I use a Harmony One remote and it turns on and configures my whole system. Not sure what other remotes allow this, but the Harmony remotes do the job very nicely.

5. cjb287 macrumors newbie

I know the ATV turns on at a regular interval by itself but I don't think it tries to send out video signals through the HDMI when it does so. All its doing is shaking hands if you will with your router or whatever to maintain connectivity and the ability for other iOS devices to see it on the network. But yes a universal remote is probably your best bet for making life easier in this regard

6. donrsd macrumors 6502

donrsd

+1
    I love my Harmony One remote.

7. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

Another vote for an All in one Remote - I also use the Harmony One.

8. Omne666 macrumors 6502a

I'm not a big fan of the All-In-One remotes. Bought a Harmony - cant remember which - and sat and programmed it for all devices, then for the 'activities'. Did what it said it would. Walk in, hit one button and tadah...TV, Stereo, DVD/BluRay player all switch on....then I want to say watch something from another device....hit another button...tadahhh thump! Other device switched on, TV off, stereo off.

Lots of people love them but I just couldn't come to grips with this aspect. I ended up with a button for the TV, a bottom for the PS3, one for the stereo etc etc etc. You get my drift. In the end, I just went back to like 4 remotes that came with the devices.

For you though, it may be the solution.

9. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I doubt it, I'd certainly buy one if there was. In my case, I've an AV receiver in between the HDMI switch and TV, so I'd guess it would never work anyway.

I'd be happy if I could just get the HDMI to switch inputs to the ATV when I start playing a song/video, but it only will do that when I wake the ATV, not when I start playing something.

10. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I use this - Dijit - as a universal remote on the iPhone and it controls my Philips TV and Blu-ray, Bose Amp, Virgin Tivo and aTV boxes perfectly. A bit of time setting up various activities and can do most things now with 1 or 2 buttons :cool:

11. slothrob macrumors 6502

It shouldn't work that way. I have one of the low-end Harmony remotes and, when I change from one activity to the other, it just turns the new device on and changes to the correct input on the TV. The TV stays on. You do need to program it to tell it which devices you want on for each Activity button, though.

12. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

This sounds like the remote is sending the power toggle (press on, press off, etc), instead of the discrete "power on" function.

I don't know how this his handled on the Harmony, but on other remotes I have programmed, you need to get that right in the macro, or it will do exactly what you are describing...

Maybe your TV doesn't have the discrete functions, only the power toggle...

13. kristoffer4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

14. elementary macrumors newbie

I would like to add that the Monoprice 4-1 HDMI switcher (product ID 5557) can do the same thing - that is, power on a standby display when the Apple TV or other HDMI input is activated.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

Specifically, I plugged my AppleTV into this device and plugged the HDMI-out from this device into my 24" computer monitor in our living room (I lack a real TV, on a budget). :)

Using only the AppleTV remote to wake the device, it would then also automatically wake up my monitor in standby as well - I can only assume the standby wakeup signal is successfully carried by the Monoprice switcher. I do not know if the other Monoprice HDMI switchers act similarly.

It is also very handy that the Monoprice can break out stereo RCA L/R outputs from the AppleTV HDMI as well, since I lack optical stereo equipment. :)

This device worked very well for me. My only difficulty was that eventually (due to a surge, the product's limited lifespan, or my own mistake in wiring) the device stopped worked completely after about a year. Was very disappointed, as it was perfect.

15. luke lau macrumors regular

luke lau

Monitors automatically wake whenever they receive a signal but TVs generally do not (well at least not mine) so I presume this would just be the case for your monitor

16. dojoman macrumors 65816

This won't work for TV. ATV lacks CEC in HDMI.