HDMI Switcher not solving issue...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by trs0722, Nov 1, 2015.

1. trs0722 macrumors member

...of sending analog signal to AVR's zone 2 on new Apple TV.

Up until getting the new ATV the other day, I was using my generation 2 ATV to play music (iTunes library, Pandora, iTunes Radio) on our deck speakers through my 2008 Denon AVR. The receiver only takes analog signal to Zone 2 (no HDMI) so I rigged it up using a splitter using a Toslink cable and composite audio cable into the AVR.

So I pick up an HDMI splitter (see below) after seeing some posts, knowing the new ATV doesn't have the optical out. I take the original splitter (with Toslink) out of the loop and run HDMI from ATV to new splitter and run HDMI and composite (red & white) cables out of splitter into AVR Zone 2 input. I tried all three settings (HDMI pass through, 2ch, 5.1Dolby) and here's what happens: When I switch the AVR input to the ATV, the home screen comes up and all appears to work UNTIL I press ANYTHING like menu or try to scroll. Then, the AVR switches input back to my cable box and the tv feed comes up. Crazy! At one point I got music playing on the deck but the TV would still display the cable feed (not the Apple Tv screen). As soon as I tried to switch inputs I was back to the same problem.

Anyone have a similar experience or any suggestions? I know I can eliminate this by getting a newer AVR with Zone 2 that will take digital inputs but would rather try the cheaper splitter way first.

http://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Optica...446402034&sr=1-6&keywords=tendak+hdmi+to+hdmi

2. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

In the setting of the Apple TV try turning off the setting that allows it to control a/v equipment. That Could be what causing it to change inputs on you.

3. trs0722 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks...I didn't even see that until you told me. However, it appears the culprit was the HDMI control feature on my receiver. It was set to ON so my ATV remote was changing inputs when I pressed any buttons. I switched it to OFF. All zones back in business!