hdmi to scart cables

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Luis Ortega, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

My new dslr camera only has usb3 and mini hdmi ports and I need to connect it to a tv set and project the lcd panel or the viewfinder on the tv screen for demonstrations.
    With other dslrs, there is usually an av mini-jack socket on the camera and a cable that plugs into a video in on a scart adapter on a tv set.
    Is there some easy way around this?
    I saw a powered hdmi to scart adapter box for about £40, but that seems like a lot of trouble as well as expensive.
    Is it now impossible to connect a camera with only usb and hdmi to a traditional scart socket on older tv sets?
    Thanks for any advice.

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

HDMI to SCART requires digital to analogue conversion. Whenever you need to convert between analogue and digital, you'll need something more than a passive adaptor, which will of course be more expensive.

No HDMI standards support analogue signals, so if this is truly the only output provided then you'll need the converter. You should double check the manuals for your camera, my point and shoot delivers composite video over the same jack used for USB, it could be possible that yours does too but they don't supply the cable with the camera.

3. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. They did give me a usb cable, and I use it to download photos and videos to the computer, but how can I go from usb to a scart video input on a tv?
    Is there a usb to scart cable?

4. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Before you spend money on an HDMI>SCART adaptor, check what the camera actually outputs over HDMI - I have a suspicion it's not going to be either the contents of the LCD panel or the viewfinder, but rather the shots you've taken already. I'm not sure though; it's worth checking.

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

USB doesn't carry video, you'll only get video out of the same port if it isn't a standard USB port on the camera (my point and shoot uses a proprietary connector).

Please read the manual! This will answer your question, we can only speculate without knowing which model of camera you have.

This is a really good point, more reason to RTFM ;)

6. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's the first thing that I did, but there is no video out port.
    It says that you can connect the camera to a tv using the hdmi port.
    The camera is a nikon d800. All I see on it is a mic socket, a headphone socket, a usb 3 port and a mini hdmi port.

7. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Ah ok, sorry. Then the USB jack isn't multifunctional, you'll need the converter. Though, you should probably check that the HDMI port does display the viewfinder first.

8. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I called Nikon and tested the hdmi output on an hdmi tv and it works as expected.
    So I ordered an hdmi to scart converter and will have to connect that way to older tv sets.
    It's a bit more tedious but I don't have to do it often.