HDMI to VGA

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ahostmadsen, Jun 24, 2015.

1. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I have the "USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter." But sometimes I also need to connect to VGA, and I don't want to spend $80 on the other adapter from Apple. HDMI to VGA converters are $5-10. But it seems they don't work, or some don't work with Apple's adapter. The question is: has anyone successfully connected to VGA through the Digital AV adapter? Or found a cheap USB-C to VGA adapter?

2. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now I also found some slightly cheaper ones on ebay. Interesting, when I checked just a couple of weeks there were none. So, probably we can expect more soon, so prices will go down.

4. polee macrumors 6502a

polee

I had a lenovo HDMI to VGA that did not work on the apple usb c multi-adapter. Just in case if you are thinking of getting the the lenovo adapter.

5. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, so far I have only heard about HDMI to VGA adapters that do NOT work.

In the end I might buy a USB-C to VGA adapter. It seems more and more is becoming available every day. But the standard price still is about $35, which is slightly high. Perhaps the price will come down.

6. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Like you I burned a lot of calories on trying to get one adapter and making it work for both functions.

Just buy both Apple adapters. It's the only reliable way and in the end it's going to only cost you an extra $20 which isn't enough to break a sweat over.

BJ

7. polee macrumors 6502a

polee

Yup I finally bought both adapters too. It looks like that is the way to go to cover all your bases. That however increases the cost of acquiring a macbook 2015.
    I bought the USB C to VGA adapter today.

8. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

When you're driving the BMW of notebooks, you get it with leather, you don't worry about what it costs.

BJ

9. Wallabe, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015

Wallabe macrumors 6502a

I wanted to say basically the same thing, but I already know some people will argue otherwise. You're buying the latest and greatest toy, but you're too cheap to buy proper accessories with it. It's like buying a Lamborghini, then they buy a cheap radio and getting it installed at Best Buy.

If that's the direction they want to go, let them. I can understand either way.

10. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Exactly. Hey, no one likes to get ripped off, but the reality is that anyone who bought a RMB knew what they were getting into, it's lack of ports and need for dongles was very clearly communicated, and it's premium price assumes it's owners can afford the necessary add-on's.

Apple gave users an extremely thin and light design due to the removal of ports and fans and hard drives. They make notebooks with all these features built-in, you just pay the price for the bulk and weight. With the RMB, it's a-la carte. Better that way.

BJ