Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
What does all this stuff mean?

I looked on the Web, but none of it made sense. We bought a new DVD player last night (obviously not knowing what we were doing) and I have no idea what all this stuff means.

Will this mean something if we eventually get a plasma or something? :confused:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
HDMI - is the smaller digital connection that also carries audio (imagine a small DVI)

S-Video is the normal connection if your TV doesnt have HDMI

Progressive Scan - means it shows all the lines in the picture rather than the interlaced image normally seen on an old CRT screen.

DVD Upscaling is via the HDMI cable and basically means the dvd image is shown in a higher resolution (like a monitor) So 1280x720 or 1920x1080i as opposed to standard 720x560.

But like stretching a small image off google to fill up your desktop, it means the picture can often lose quality, however these 'new' dvd players carefully converts the image to the higher res without losing quality - but enhancing it to almost High Definition quality

Optical out - is a output for audio and allows a dolby digital amplifier to decode the stream and give you cinema like sound.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
HDMI is the standard high-definition interface between dvd players, digital boxes, Blu-ray players, etc. It allows you to connect to a compatible HDTV thereby giving you the highest possible quality picture. It also carries video and audio through one cable, which is kind of useful. Oh and its digital!

Upconvert is for dvd-players with HD outputs (like HDMI). It allows dvds to be upconverted to higher definition, thereby making use of the HDTVs that are on the market at the moment.

S-Video is yet another kind of Video input/output connection. But its analog, which isn't all too great.

Progressive scan gives you better picture quality (without going into all the nitty-gritty details) on a compatible TV. Normally pictures are interlaced. With progressive the picture gets sharper.

Optical out is for digital audio (its also on most high end macs). Its used for high-end sound systems and delivers the optimum quality sound.

....bummer, took too long :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
iGary said:
But if we get an HD TV or such in the future, it will most likely have some of this stuff, no?

Nope, by then there will be a sea of only subtly different acronyms representing only subtly different concepts that will be utterly incompatible with the acronyms your DVD player supports. :D

Motherfrakkers.

On the bright side, the new BSG season is only a couple of weeks away. :)

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
MacRumorUser said:
LOL!! :p

Yes!

OK good. I just told Rob that we should get whatever has the longest list of stuff™ that didn't cost 250 bucks. :)

We got a Samsung and Narnia looked pretty good on it (not to mentione that it didn't skip/stop five times through it like our old player.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
mkrishnan said:
On the bright side, the new BSG season is only a couple of weeks away. :)
Which means Season 2.5 will //finally// come out on DVD. (I don't get the Scifi channel, but even if I did I can't get it in HD :mad: )

When buying an HDTV, just make sure it
- has HDMI input
- can display at least 1080i and 720p resolutions (1080p capable ones were still mad expensive last I looked)

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
But which type of hdmi: 1.1, 1.2, 1.2a, or 1.3? :D

(Note: For you pedants out there I know 1.3 doesn't come out till this fall:p )

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Motley said:
But which type of hdmi: 1.1, 1.2, 1.2a, or 1.3? :D

(Note: For you pedants out there I know 1.3 doesn't come out till this fall:p )

Don't know. :eek:

I know it actually plays the DVD's instead of stalling all the time, though. :)

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
check this

Hi, I did my homework when buying my TV last December...

HDMI is the best current connection for video and audio between a DVD, a Satellite receiver, amplifier, and a TV or monitor.
Imagine the best image you can have on a TV, High Definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Generally speaking the image resolution is higher, so the picture you get is much better than with the other connections.

DVI is similar but only has the video signal, no audio on it, mostly used with some computers and monitors, also used on some TVs out there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvi

Depending on the source of your video signal with either HDMI and DVI if it's not a s good as the display you can see a bad image because the higher the resolution more details to show...

So the best way to go is have a good match from your video source and the display you'll use.

The S-video handle less resolution, like a good VHS movie.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-video

RCA are those yellow, red and white cables taht are typically used for connectin a VCR, DVDs, stereo music player, etc...
Less resolution and image quality, for your audio only 2 channels (left and right)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rca_cables

The optical audio connection allows you to have sound signal of multiple channels connected with just one cable, so you avoid using many RCA cables like in the past, so for a home theater you'll need a source device with that output and a receiver or TV that handles that input, and of course the nice set of speakers and subwoofer...some Macs had that output! I'm not sure if some of the new ones do have it...

Other important thing to consider is the aspect ratio of your signal and the screen resolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdtv

In my opersonal opinion HDMi is better and more expensive, but the prices are going down quickly, DVI is not the latest, also there are some adaptors DVI to HDMI...but who want that....only those who already have a DVI display and/or source...and the rest is old stuff, so if you are investing in new gear do it thinking in when you are planning to replace it later...

The wikipedia can help you go to any other topic you want to dig in...

Baseball Play Offs are coming....so nothing like having a nice TV set with the proper features to enjoy!!!

PD wireless HDMI is currently under investigantion and development, so sometime in the future we'll live without cable...
________
1949 Ford

Last edited:

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I have a quick question about these new "upconverting" DVD players:

Do all of them use HDMI? Does it require HDMI to upconvert? I bought my HDTV back in 2001 and it only has component....which looks great in HD to me with my cable television service. Just curious if any of those "upconverting" DVD players actually use component.

Thanks!

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Jovian9 said:

Do all of them use HDMI? Does it require HDMI to upconvert? I bought my HDTV back in 2001 and it only has component....which looks great in HD to me with my cable television service. Just curious if any of those "upconverting" DVD players actually use component.

Thanks!
I have not been successful in finding an upconvert DVD player that will output the upconverted signal over component by default. There are hacks for several players out there, but I'm too lazy to use them. Plus, my 1999 Hitachi 60" Ultravision (analog) has component inputs but does not support progressive scan. So all of this new technology is wasted on me unless I convert to HDTV (only when I'm forced to do so).

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
savar said:
Wait, couldn't he run 480p over component cables? Only if the TV supports it of course, but I thought most TVs over 25" in the last few years did.

Component is fully HD-compatible, so yes it'll definitely allow him to view at 480p (or higher). The problem is that you do need component connectors on the tv. And seeing as the OP already stated that he only has RCA (aka composite) connnections, that's a problem!

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
mfacey said:
Component is fully HD-compatible, so yes it'll definitely allow him to view at 480p (or higher). The problem is that you do need component connectors on the tv. And seeing as the OP already stated that he only has RCA (aka composite) connnections, that's a problem!
But compone t connections also use the RCA-style jacks, so the OP may have them and not realize it. Many higher-end analog monitors had them; I had a Toshiba 25" some 5 years ago that had them.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
danny_w said:
But compone t connections also use the RCA-style jacks, so the OP may have them and not realize it. Many higher-end analog monitors had them; I had a Toshiba 25" some 5 years ago that had them.

That's a fair point. They would to be RGB (red, green, blue) though for it to work. Worth checking out!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The reason the upscaling requires HDMI is due to HDCP they are forced to use by the dvd forum. That's why only a few upscaling dvd players can actually do so via component albeit with a hack/mod.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
MacRumorUser said:
The reason the upscaling requires HDMI is due to HDCP they are forced to use by the dvd forum. That's why only a few upscaling dvd players can actually do so via component albeit with a hack/mod.

Anyone happen to know which ones these are? I have a large DVD collection and would love to be able to get a little better quality out of them. Thanks!

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Sony upconverter DVD player

Jovian9 said:

Thanks!

As far as I am aware the one I have is a sony and for doing the upconversion you have to use its HDMI output, so in order to take advantage of the higher resolution the image signal should be properly transmitted.
________
iolite vaporizer

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.