Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Hopper717

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Hello everybody. I have my macbook hooked up to my tv using an HDMI cable and a rocketfish Mini Display Port and everything works right except the volume is not coming through the tv. The volume is still coming from the macbook. What am I doing wrong? Your help is very appreciated it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello everybody. I have my macbook hooked up to my tv using an HDMI cable and a rocketfish Mini Display Port and everything works right except the volume is not coming through the tv. The volume is still coming from the macbook. What am I doing wrong? Your help is very appreciated it.
System Preferences > Sound > Output > HDMI

Hopper717

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
The only output option I have are the internal speakers which is the built in output. My Macbook is 2 and half years old, it was a month or two before snow leopard came out. If it is too old then what do I need to do to get the sound to work? Or can I at all?

Its a 2009 model, 15", 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo processor

Last edited:

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
The only output option I have are the internal speakers which is the built in output. My Macbook is 2 and half years old, it was a month or two before snow leopard came out. If it is too old then what do I need to do to get the sound to work? Or can I at all?

Its a 2009 model, 15", 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo processor

OK, that's a MacBook Pro then, not a MacBook.

That family of machines only supports video out via the Mini DisplayPort.

The 2010 machines onwards support video and audio via Mini DisplayPort.

You've got two options :
1) Run a separate audio cable
2) Swap your current HDMI adaptor for one with an additional USB connection for audio. e.g. : something like this

Hopper717

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Alright, will do. Mine is actually a Macbook, I got it a month and a half before they made it a pro, the only difference between mine and the pro is the pro has snow leopard where as mine does not haha.

Thanks for all the help. You guys/gals are awesome.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
There was never a 15" MacBook. If it's not a Pro then it must be a 13" Aluminium MacBook. I had one, they're excellent machines.

Hopper717

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Oh wow! That was a dumb mistake on my part. I meant to type 13", not 15. Sorry about that. My mistake.

Will that same cable work that you gave the link for?

Last edited:

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Oh wow! That was a dumb mistake on my part. I meant to type 13", not 15. Sorry about that. My mistake.

Will that same cable work that you gave the link for?

The 13" Alu and the 15" Pro of that period are very similar. The cable I linked was just the first one that a google search threw up. It should work, however having never used it I'm not personally endorsing it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.