HDMI vs DVI?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Afbar1114, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

For a henge dock or any monitor for the point which is better HDMI or DVI?

2. newdeal macrumors 68020

HDMI and DVI have the same video signal, the only differance is HDMI carries audio also. For most monitors I would assume this is a non issue since it wouldnt have speakers anyway? Other than that the only real differance is the connector. DVI has an old school design with multiple pins there (which could potentially get bent over time if you are plugging and unplugging a lot. HDMI does not have pins hanging out in the middle of the jack like that so could be unplugged and plugged in without worry of bending pins

3. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

If you're talking about image quality they're technically the same. If it's the same price and your monitor supports both I'd take HDMI since the plug is smaller, easier to connect and harder to damage.

4. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i got a HP 2311XI 23" 1080p. it came with VGA, HDMI, and DVI compatibility. It came with a DVI and VGA cable so I went with DVI first because of the cable and i would only need to buy the adaptor and not both cable and adaptor.

5. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Then stay with DVI, HDMI won't get you better quality. I imagine you will only plug and unplug the Mini DisplayPort end of the adapter, not the DVI cable itself, so it doesn't really matter that DVI is a bit more fragile.