Hdmi vs dvi

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Paskell, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Paskell macrumors member

What is your preference for connecting to Mac mini? What is better?

2. blanka macrumors 68000

They are just about the same, signal compatible, in a different package. HDMI lacks the 4 analog pins of DVI-I, but you don't want VGA monitors anyway. I usually buy el cheapo HDMI-DVI cables in black, as the adapter that comes with the Mini looks really bad on your Mini (toss in a 1$ black AC cord too).

3. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

not much in it to for most. The hdmi carries audio and can allow playback of iTunes HD content.

The DVI can run higher resolutions (if a Dual link is used) from the display port that is.

personally I have my desktop screen on the miniDP (thunderbolt port) and the TV on the hdmi. works nicely

4. Adz76 macrumors member

Its subjective really as to the display you connecting to. My display is not the best but is fairly good with a huge variety of connections.

When I first got my Mini I thought great, HDMI - HDMI is the way to go. Have to say I wasn't that impressed, colours slightly washed out and not as crisp as I hoped.

Pulled out my old DVI to HDMI cable that I still had from my old MBP days and it was superb. So really it all depend on how you screen behaves when you use either connection

Also final point is I highly recommend getting a seperate audio system, either 2.1 or higher, it really bolsters the setup and the quality goes up by long way.