Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paskell

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
What is your preference for connecting to Mac mini? What is better?

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
They are just about the same, signal compatible, in a different package. HDMI lacks the 4 analog pins of DVI-I, but you don't want VGA monitors anyway. I usually buy el cheapo HDMI-DVI cables in black, as the adapter that comes with the Mini looks really bad on your Mini (toss in a 1$ black AC cord too).

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
What is your preference for connecting to Mac mini? What is better?

not much in it to for most. The hdmi carries audio and can allow playback of iTunes HD content.

The DVI can run higher resolutions (if a Dual link is used) from the display port that is.

personally I have my desktop screen on the miniDP (thunderbolt port) and the TV on the hdmi. works nicely

Adz76

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
Dagobah System
Its subjective really as to the display you connecting to. My display is not the best but is fairly good with a huge variety of connections.

When I first got my Mini I thought great, HDMI - HDMI is the way to go. Have to say I wasn't that impressed, colours slightly washed out and not as crisp as I hoped.

Pulled out my old DVI to HDMI cable that I still had from my old MBP days and it was superb. So really it all depend on how you screen behaves when you use either connection

Also final point is I highly recommend getting a seperate audio system, either 2.1 or higher, it really bolsters the setup and the quality goes up by long way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.