Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kovy17

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
I feel really stupid asking this. I just got a 60 inch Samsung Lcd and a hdmi cord for my Aplle Tv. How do i know if the hdmi is working. Is there an Input that says Hdmi 1 or Hdmi 2 on the tv that i need to set it on to view the Apple tv?

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I feel really stupid asking this. I just got a 60 inch Samsung Lcd and a hdmi cord for my Aplle Tv. How do i know if the hdmi is working. Is there an Input that says Hdmi 1 or Hdmi 2 on the tv that i need to set it on to view the Apple tv?

I would assume that when you put the HDMI cord from your apple tv to your tv there should be a Number under the hdmi connection on your tv if not, it just going to be as easy as turning your apple tv on, your tv on and just browse through the inputs until you get the apple tv on your screen. Hope that helps

kovy17

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Thanks for the reply. Thats the first thing i tried doing. And nothing comes up when I go through the inputs. Could it be that the hidmi wire is not compatible or something. Merry Christmas everyone.

TheZA

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
How long is the HDMI cable? You loose signal in proportion to the length of the cable. To minimize this, you can get a fat cable. Even so, there are limits. I got a 6-foot cable (24 AWG) from Monoprice.com that is probably twice as thick as a standard coaxial cable. Before this I had a standard 6-foot cable (probably 28 AWG) that I got from Ace Hardware that was half as thick and about five times the price. My Toshiba was always dropping that signal. AWG is the rating of the cable thickness; smaller numbers indicate fatter cables. Fatter cables are less flexible, and that can be a hassle, but I got my last one in white so it doesn't stand out too much. In my opinion, the cable is suspect if it is a 6 feet long or longer, and thinner than 24 AWG. You can't find a better place for cable than Monoprice.com.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Is the AppleTV setup to output over HDMI? There is an option to reset the AppleTV, I can't remember off the top of my head what the remote button combo is, but try doing that with the set to the right HDMI and see if that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.