HDR help

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by grooveattack, Oct 31, 2008.

1. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

hi
    i have been inspired by all of the HDR pictures on here so i thought that i would experiment with my own. I am, however, having some problems. This is what i am doing:

1. i have a normal JPEG picture (i know it is better to make the different exposures in camera but thats a perfect world)

2. i make 4 copies of it. 2 over exposed 2 under.

3. i then, in photoshop CS4, use 'automate' > merge to HDR.

4. i pick the files i want to use and off PS goes.

5. i am then presented with this: see grab1

6. i dont know what to do here so just click 'ok', i have never seen this window in any tutorial.

7. then i am given a rubbish picture: see grab 2

I'm stuck! any help or ideas? happy to give any info you need...
    thanks guys!

Attached Files:

2. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I think the majority of HDR photos you're seeing in this forum are created with Photomatix, give it a lookup.

3. anubis macrumors 6502a

From "Complete Guide to High Dynamic Range Photography" by Ferrell McCollough:

So, in other words, the most important part of high dynamic range photography (taking multiple exposure pictures) is the first thing you dismiss as being impossible in an imperfect world, but it's what makes HDR photography what it is. Almost all of the good HDRs in the HDR thread here are from multiple exposure brackets.

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i have tried on photoshop and i just don't get results half as good as with photomatix... and it is a lot simpler to use too... sorry can't realy help you with the photoshop part....i just don't think you have all teh options for tonemapping in photoshop taht you hve in photomatix, and tahst why you are not getting what you want.. also teh picture youa re using doenst seem to me like it would have a much of a dynamic range therefore the results won;t be what you are looking for.. no need to make 5 copies either 3 should be enough just tos tart until you gte a better hang of it....

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

The whole entire point of HDR is that you actually have high dynamic range in the scene and you want to compress it so that it will "fit" into a normal color space. What yo did was just an exercise in running the software. Also if you want the results to look good there has to be BOTH a good technical reason and a good artistic reason to merge the multiple images.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah you really need to use the program mode on your camera to have it take multiple shots in succession while automatically adjusting the EV setting. What kind of camera are you using?

7. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

With photoshop adobe wanted you to get the feel of actually having high dynamic range, so they toned down the plasticy and tonemapping. Photomatix works super great for getting that surreal look with a dreamy haze.

8. grooveattack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmm thanks guys. I will give photomatrix a look. The various guides I have been useing on the net are conflicting at best so it's nice to have more solid info to work with.
    So in reflection:
    1. Have a better starting picture (the one I used was just a quick experiment one anyway)
    2.change exposure in camera e.g. Takeing multipule shots at different exposures
    3.use photomatrix.

Just for your info this weekend I am using a cannon 450D. Again guides I found said not to use auto bracketing but is it actully ok?

I will give this a shot and report back!

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

10. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yes you can use the bracketing method, or if you are shooting moving object or people you may wnat to shoot RAW and then change the exposure, or let photomatix do it for you (pseudo-HDR)...have fun shooting:D

11. Bigtree macrumors 6502

You mean people actually buy a program to do this gimmicky CRAP?

12. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah just as much as people buy expensive cameras to take crappy boring building pictures..;)

13. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Your "picture 2" is the unprocessed 32-bit image, and yes, it will be rubbish. You need to save it out as a 16-bit file, and then run local adjustments on it in order to get the HDR look.

That being said, I would mostly agree with the posters here that in order to get a decent HDR, you may need at least 3 differently exposed images. On the other hand, I've had some significant success messing around with a single RAW.

14. Bigtree macrumors 6502

Good point.;)