Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What should be the fate of the HDR?

• Total voters

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I need an in-between option. HDR in and of itself is just fine. I took some great HDR photos of my friends place so he could sell it. What is sickening is all the extreme things people do to photos at the same time they do HDR; they tend to oversaturate and kick up the contrast too high.

----------

Oh I don't know how many it takes. HDR can be done with 7 images or 28 images. I'm sure the iPhone takes a small amount.

HDR can be done with as few as 2 images, but typically you would use 3 or more. I believe the iPhone uses 2 or 3.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
I won't say I use it daily or it's the best feature, but any photographer that say's it crap is a joke. I don't know any/many photographers that don't use Photoshop or some software to manipulate their photo's to get the desired results. If a purist is taking pics on 35mm film and hates it, I get that, but anyone using a DSLR or digital format is a hypocrite for saying HDR is not a legit means of digitally enhancing a photo. It just happens to be in camera edited automatically vs dumped into a Photoshop type program.

Tell them the view must be nice on their high horse, but they are full of $%@T.

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
traditional its a complimation of multiple shots of the same image blended together to make one image.

One or a few under exposed, over exposed and one shot correctly. Blending the picture will or can create a dramatic affect... or one with more detail

here is an HDR shot I put together using 3 photos.. Actually my very 1st.

[url=http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6008/5949607726_4de6ae2a33_z.jpg]Image[/url]
HDR - Imperial Beach, CA by Travis Brown Photography, on Flickr

Some details are lost in the middle, when the sun's light is being reflected. And the detail is also lost in the dark parts. You might want to take 5 pictures and put them together.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I won't say I use it daily or it's the best feature, but any photographer that say's it crap is a joke. I don't know any/many photographers that don't use Photoshop or some software to manipulate their photo's to get the desired results. If a purist is taking pics on 35mm film and hates it, I get that, but anyone using a DSLR or digital format is a hypocrite for saying HDR is not a legit means of digitally enhancing a photo. It just happens to be in camera edited automatically vs dumped into a Photoshop type program.

Tell them the view must be nice on their high horse, but they are full of $%@T.

Yes and no. HDR is not used by every DSLR user by any means. But I do agree it's a legit means of enhancing a photo. However, what's happened lately is people have been pushing it to the extremes and overcooking their photos. Some of the most popular HDR plugins to LR oversaturate and turn up the contrast too high be default. This has resulted in a lot of really extreme (and subjectively ugly) HDR photos out there. I believe that most photographers, when saying they hate HDR, are responding to this recent trend.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Yes and no. HDR is not used by every DSLR user by any means. But I do agree it's a legit means of enhancing a photo. However, what's happened lately is people have been pushing it to the extremes and overcooking their photos. Some of the most popular HDR plugins to LR oversaturate and turn up the contrast too high be default. This has resulted in a lot of really extreme (and subjectively ugly) HDR photos out there. I believe that most photographers, when saying they hate HDR, are responding to this recent trend.

This.

HDR is like sharpening. When used properly and subtley, it's seamless...you don't even notice it. When abused, it's an eyesore.

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
traditional its a complimation of multiple shots of the same image blended together to make one image.

One or a few under exposed, over exposed and one shot correctly. Blending the picture will or can create a dramatic affect... or one with more detail

here is an HDR shot I put together using 3 photos.. Actually my very 1st.

[url=http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6008/5949607726_4de6ae2a33_z.jpg]Image[/url]
HDR - Imperial Beach, CA by Travis Brown Photography, on Flickr
Is this with the 4s?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
High Dynamic Range. It's a feature on the 4S's camera that allows you to take small details that makes pictures shockingly amazing, despite the fact that it's taken with a phone camera.

.HDR is actually called the radiance format, and I know that because I'm a big nerd:D. Spherical hdri is used in CG rendering quite often for lighting or generating indirect reflections. This means you'd need a full panorama, but the range + potential to linearize gamma makes it quite effective for this stuff.

Both. The sad part about it is you need to have steady hands for at least 3-5 seconds or else it will turn out blurry.

Ehh.. I don't think anyone can remain steady that long.

most good photographers really like the idea of doing HDR pictures. but all HDR stuff on the iphone isn't the real deal. a real HDR pic will consist of atleast 5 images put together which makes it impossible to take pictures of people because you can't hold still for that long. most of the time the background is gonna be an HDR pic and persons will be photographed separately

Joel Grimes is a pretty famous photographer. he does lots of stuff for nike. you can check him out here: http://joelgrimes.com

he does 99% HDR

That's not necessarily hdr. I can see a lot of composite work. On the portraits you can get a lot of that just via painting it in post. You just have to be reasonably good at painting and masking. Stuff on location looks to me like he prepared the backgrounds separately, but I'll bet you the majority of what you see as hdr is just lighting being accentuated in post. It's very typical.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
redm.jpg

HDR. It's like this.

It's not a bad idea in concept, but a lot of people really, really give it a bad name.

I won't say I use it daily or it's the best feature, but any photographer that say's it crap is a joke.

HDR isn't crap, but auto-HDR is.

I'd also say that auto-exposure is crap...I run my camera in manual mode...but that doesn't mean I think that exposure is wrong. Just that you should do it yourself and not let the computer do it.

HDR is like that too. I think it's a really cool technique but pretty useless on the iPhone.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Most people improperly identify Tone Mapping as HDR.

Tone Mapping is what gives an HDR photo those garish and surreal colors, like this:
The-Old-Rock-Schoolhouse.jpg

The method of HDR used in the iPhone combines 3 exposures (one bright, one middle, one dark) into one photo which does its best to reproduce detail across a wide range (High Dynamic Range) of lighting conditions.

HDR is **** for low light because it doesn't do anything. HDR is used to photograph things of strongly varying brightnesses, such as the inside of a tunnel on a bright sunny day. Normal photography methods would either overexpose to get the detail in the tunnel, making the outside white, or underexpose, bringing out the detail of the outside, but rendering the tunnel completely black. HDR does both and combines them.

The effect can sometimes look surreal, but without Tone Mapping in the process, you'll never get such overblown colors as the above image, and most people would never notice the difference, except maybe the fact that the HDR image seems a bit "flatter" or "brighter." (assuming there are no ghosting artifacts)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Both. The sad part about it is you need to have steady hands for at least 3-5 seconds or else it will turn out blurry.

You don't with ios6 it does the shot in 0.5 seconds

----------

Oh I don't know how many it takes. HDR can be done with 7 images or 28 images. I'm sure the iPhone takes a small amount.

Yep it's 3. Under exposed, normal and over

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
Just about HDR on the iPhone ... it can be quite useful to have it switched on. I find that in some cases, i.e. areas with strong light or heavy shadows, it can provide a decent picture where the non-HDR is unsalvageable. In other cases, the HDR is generally inferior as it can emphasise shake and the colours can be a bit weird.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Everything can be overdone or used in the wrong way. HDR is no exception. Artificial/added lens flare is much worse and cheesy looking

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Time and a place for HDR. Generally speaking I've found it very good for dramatic landscapes, but also very easy to push a bit too far.....

Examples im pleased with:

Waxham Breakwater by simbojono, on Flickr

Iceland in HDR by simbojono, on Flickr

But for some things its just not so good......

glade 2012 HDR dance off by simbojono, on Flickr

Untitled_HDR7 by simbojono, on Flickr

As for the OP saying talking about photographers saying HDR is the scurge of god, its worth remembering that photographers do have a habit of getting very stuck in their ways, and a lot of the ones I know are very opinionated (in all fairness a lot of them would rather spend their time telling you they're a photographer, rather than actually taking photos).

Everythings good in moderation, I've seen some amazing HDR shots, I've also seen a good share of absolutely horrible ones. So im on the fence a bit.

BTW the iphone HDR is 2 shots ;)

zombiecakes

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2012
HDR is nice when used "responsibly." Same with tilt shift.

I hate "miniaturized" photos and camo-toned HDR, fake tilt shift and HDR looks pretty bad. But properly done it looks good.

Using HDR to properly expose everything while making everything in focus is closest to how your eye would see things in real life since as you look around your eye adjusts to the exposure. Its like going back to paintings where the artist painted what they saw.

Last edited:

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
For being in a digital photography forum, it's incredible how much completely wrong information is in this thread

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.