HDR on 4.0

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by anthdci, Sep 10, 2010.

1. anthdci macrumors 6502

I have been looking at what 4.1 offers and I'm really not impressed. I have had no proximity sensor issues, no reception issues, gamecenter does not interest me and I don't rent media from iTunes. So I will be sticking with my jailbroken 4.0. However I am starting to see some HDR photos coming through and they look brilliant. So I was wondering if there was a way to get HDR on my iPhone 4 on 4.0 since its jailbroken?

2. onefish2 macrumors member

onefish2

Sure. Buy one of the many HDR apps in the app store.

3. dgstan macrumors 6502a

4. anthdci thread starter macrumors 6502

5. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I didn't either until someone around here mentioned Pro HDR. I downloaded it, but I don't like it at all. It takes about 30 seconds to take a picture. As if anyone or anything is going to stand still for that long. I hope the native HDR app is better.

6. anthdci thread starter macrumors 6502

me to, it seems sooo slow.

7. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

For HDR Pro, does it really make you stand still for 30 seconds or after snapping the photo, it takes 30 seconds to process? I can't see a camera taking a clear photo if you have to hold it for 30 seconds, the picture would be crazy blurry from trying to hold it still..

8. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

It takes about 10 seconds or less, but it's not 'taking' the photo for that long. It takes most of the time "analyzing" or basically measuring exposure. Then it takes two fairly quick photos. One light one dark. It's easy to do.

9. anthdci thread starter macrumors 6502

having not used HDR on 4.1 I cannot really compare, but going off the way steve jobs showed it made be think taking a HDR photo using 4.1 took 2-3 seconds max, using pro HDR takes 10-15 times that.

does 4.1 actually take HDR photos that quickly?

10. dgstan macrumors 6502a

From the time I opened the app 'til I had a picture saved in my camera roll took over 35 seconds. True, it's only taking the two pictures for a few seconds, but it was over 20 seconds before it actually took the snaps. Might be a problem for impromptu picture-taking.

I am very curious if Apple's works any faster.

11. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Just did a test. 13-14 seconds to take the photos (thought, as I said it's not /taking/ them for longer than 2 snaps in about 1-2 seconds at the end). You do then have to wait a bit for processing and then make wanted adjustments and save. So from launch to saved photo, it is slower for sure.

In general, HDR isn't good for any sort of quick snaps. Maybe Apple's way is decent.