HDR on Amazon Video removed?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by awp69, Jul 29, 2019.

1. awp69 macrumors member

Was watching The Boys over the weekend and noticed that it did not have HDR when playing the UHD version on my Apple TV. It does, however, have it on other devices like my Roku TCL.

I know I have watched other shows and movies through the Amazon Video app in the past that had HDR or Dolby Vision. Jack Ryan specifically had both Dolby Vision and Atmos through the Apple TV.

Did Amazon recently remove the HDR functionality on the ATV?

2. waw74 macrumors 68040

did some looking here between my aTV4k and the app built into my LG OLED.

boys: aTV - sdr, LG - HDR
    jack Ryan: aTV - sdr, LG - Dolbyvision
    good opens: aTV - HDR, LG - HDR

I really HATE the amazon app, and they way they organize the shows with a 4k / not 4k version.
    I did make sure I had the UHD versions selected in my tests.

I got excited for a second, there is an update to the amazon app, that hadn't installed yet, but it didn't help
    although it was acting weird, I'd hit update, but the button never changed from update to open, the app did have the blue dot though.
    I removed the app and installed fresh, still no bueno

3. FarmerBob macrumors regular

FarmerBob

I was getting HDR with "The Boys" last night off my ATV4K. I turned it off in my TV. The picture was all washed out and flat. With it off really nice.

4. malexandria22 macrumors newbie

same, it drives me crazy. The worst part is they have the 4k/HDR stuff way at the bottom of the app so you have to scroll forever just to get to it. I don't understand why they don't just auto switch based on your TV like every other app in the world.