HDR software?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Kingsly, May 17, 2007.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Unfortunately, the iPhone budget is eating into the MacPro budget, which is eating into the ACD budget, which is eating into the gas/food/life budget, which, sadly, has dried up the CS3 budget. :rolleyes: :eek: :(

That being said, I am eager to try out some HDR photography, and am wondering if there is any free or nearly free software, (and/or aperture plugin!) out there that can do it instead...

Help?

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Photomatix: A lot of people say it's better than Photoshop for making HDRs.

3. vandi macrumors member

isn't that the truth?!!:eek:
    i want to get Photomatix too, but...you know, back to the whole budgets getting into other budgets thing.

4. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Photomatix is good, but it seems slow on my MBP. Just crashed on me as well. :mad:

5. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Okay, so if got my HDR workflow going... I am using photomatix to generate the HDR files (it does a great job of ghost reduction and alignment) and then use the open source qtpfsgui (nice name, eh? :rolleyes: ) for tone mapping. It's not at intuitive as Photomatix, but, then again, it's free and doesn't watermark the image with "DEMO" ;) :)

6. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Good idea. The tone-mapping in photomatix, however, is superb.

7. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Here is a quick sample. The headlights made for good contrast on the trial run... worked out okay, I think.

Attached Files:

8. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Not bad. You might want to up the smoothing to remove a smidgen of the halos you have around the trees. :apple:

9. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Yeah, I agree. As we've already established, though, qtpfsgi isn't exactly the best tone mapper... I'll try to figure it out though. :)

10. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

Once you figure it out, it's somewhat more flexible than photomatix due to its multiple tone mapping operators. Then again, most people only find the Fattal effect pleasing.

11. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Can you explain what the Fattal effect is? That is the first time I have heard of it.

thanks!