Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jerezanito

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
I'm wondering what you guys thinking about these two video formats both are great, especially if you can play these two movies Lord of the rings and the hobbit in 4K , HDR look litthe darker but people faces are more natural, Dolby Vision have more brightness. in my new Apple tv 2021 when I play these or other movies that contains dolby atmos and dolby vision from itunes, if I'm watching with 4K HDR still shows dolby vision in the movie information and also in the Sony A80j display info, and of course when they play in doby vision is the same thing just difference video quality between HDR and Dolby Atmos, please make a comment if you have these two devices.

Attachments

• tempImageAkO7Ye.png
    tempImageAkO7Ye.png
    4 MB · Views: 437
  • tempImagepJuv5x.png
    tempImagepJuv5x.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 152
  • tempImagewvPXOc.png
    tempImagewvPXOc.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 157

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I don’t have that specific model but I do have X90J. You would want to set your Apple TV to 4K SDR since many of the menu or Home Screen are not in HDR. Some SDR content may look a bit washed out if you have it on HDR. I also have “Enable Dolby Vision” option but I rather not enable it. With Match Content on, it will automatically adjust to the content when playing to HDR or Dolby Vision. It shows Dolby Vision because that is exactly what that content is in. It does not have the HDR logo.

Last edited:

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
I also have an A80J. I was having serious lip sync issues on shows streaming through the ATV 4K (first one) until I turned Match Frame Rate off. Lip sync issues were gone after that. This weekend I watched Arcane on Netflix (what a great friggin series, btw) and everything didn't seem to pop or look as good as I thought it should. So I turned Enable Dolby Vision on and wow did the show look great. I will probably leave it there for the time being and see how it goes.

I really wish all these setting weren't so complicated.

Reactions: satcomer

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
I'm wondering what you guys thinking about these two video formats both are great, especially if you can play these two movies Lord of the rings and the hobbit in 4K , HDR look litthe darker but people faces are more natural, Dolby Vision have more brightness. in my new Apple tv 2021 when I play these or other movies that contains dolby atmos and dolby vision from itunes, if I'm watching with 4K HDR still shows dolby vision in the movie information and also in the Sony A80j display info, and of course when they play in doby vision is the same thing just difference video quality between HDR and Dolby Atmos, please make a comment if you have these two devices.
As I said in a previous thread, if you set match Dynamic Range ON, and use either HDR or SDR, then the ATV 4K will display DV in DV, HDR10 in HDR10, SDR in SDR, etc. It will be automatic. So your TV is simply confirming that it is displaying the content in the proper (native) format. It is typically best to view content in its native format. That is, content designed in DV should be seen in DV, content designed in HDR10 should be seen in HDR10. Otherwise you get a converted format which will probably not look as good as the native format. So let the ATV 4K automatically select the native format in which to display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.