HD's- where are they going?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by carfac, Oct 11, 2009.

1. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

So I have a NAS that I pop movies on and watch from. I have nearly filled up a 1.5 TB drive, and it seems rather worthless to replace that with a 2 TB... but that is as big as they come now.

So where are we going next? 3 TB or 4 TB? And any idea how soon? Seems like we have been at 2 TB for a year now, should be time to change that upwards!

2. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat as you. I've filled 2TB worth of "stuff" for the AppleTV. Last year, I lost it all due to a hard drive failure. It took many hours of ripping and handbraking to get it back, so now I keep it backed up (4TB total).

But, I've got so many external hard drives hanging off of my Airport that it's a mess. After I move, I'm planning on building a custom PC to fit my media needs. It'll be ultra low power so that I can leave it on all of the time and have many many locations for hard drives. I'll just use it to run iTunes (synced with the AppleTV), so I'll probably put XP or something on it.

3 or 4TB drives would make it sooooo much easier, though.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

^^ If your space needs are really that large, a NAS that holds multiple drives (Drobo, that newer one from HP, etc), or a custom PC that holds 4 or 5 drives and is stripped down to just be effective as a file server seems like a better option. The drive sizes will continue to increase, but this buys you a lot more space. You could easily be at 8-10TB, if you don't want redundancy, today.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

You mean TB, surely...

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Fixed, sorry.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Have to admit I'm waiting for 4tb drives as my drobo's are about 75%full

7. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

I am in the same boat, I just did not want to get too complicated. Yes, I have a NAS (as I said in the FIRST post) already, and it is full despite having a bunch of drives in there (which I just figgered was TMI for the first post, forgive me). BluRays take up a LOT of room!

So, the original question remains- what will the next drives be, and when should we start seeing them?

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, you needn't be rude. :rolleyes:

Toshiba's Regza 55X1 is said to have a 3TB drive and due out in December, so that appears to herald the release of such drives... otherwise, I haven't seen any news newer than 3TB in 2010 and 4TB in 2011....

9. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Sorry, NOT intended to be taken that way. Just trying to get back on course.

Only a 3 TB is next, huh? Thanks. I may just skip on that and get another NAS then. Wait for a 4 or (GASP!) a 6-8 TB drive.

Rude, debatable. Greedy, fer sure!