HDTV confusion

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by xstex, Dec 1, 2009.

1. xstex macrumors newbie

xstex

Right so I've read that HD Ready isn't full HD and to get full HD I need to get one with 1080p on, what I need to know is will there be a massive difference between HD ready and Full HD on a 32 inch when playing xbox 360? I've had mixed opinions when asking people, a lot are saying I won't need full HD unless I'm going 40inch+.

2. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

First off, "Full HD" is not a specification, but a marketing term. By spec, 720p, 1080i and 1080p are all "HD".

To the best of my knowledge, "HD Ready" means a TV is capable of displaying HD material at HD resolutions, but does not have an HD tuner built in. Unless you're trying to receive HD channels over the air, this isn't really important.

On a 32" screen, it is unlikely you'd be able to tell the difference between 720 and 1080. The following link contains a chart that will give you an idea of whether or not you're likely to be able to take advantage of the different resolutions:

http://hd.engadget.com/2006/12/09/1080p-charted-viewing-distance-to-screen-size/

With a 32" screen, you'd have to sit about 7' or closer to even be able to see any of the increased resolution that 1080 has to offer (I'm assuming this chart is based on 20:20 vision). Anyway, it can give you some idea of whether or not you would benefit from getting a higher resolution set.