HDTV/DTV Tuners?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Unprocessed1, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I saw this monitor, and the fact that it doubles as a tv appeals to me.

But with that said, is the HDTV/DTV tuner also compatible with non HD signals? I'm not going to be watching HDTV, but rather standard cable, and was wondering if hooking up my standard television cable will work with the tuner without any problems.

Sorry, I'm sure this is a stupid and obvious question, but just want to make sure.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I can guarantee these statement only for the US. Other countries use different standards and are on different transition schedules. HDTV sets can have three different kinds of tuners.

NTSC--As of June 12, 2009, NTSC can be used only to receive analog cable channels and the output from very old video components that have output only RF. [Oh yes, low-power OTA television still uses NTSC.]

ATSC--This is the US standard for full-power OTA television. For several years now, all new TV sets sold in the US must have an ATSC tuner. ATSC is a digital standard, but not necessarily a HDTV standard. ATSC broadcasts may employ 480i (SDTV), 480p (EDTV), 720p (HDTV), or 1080i (HDTV). All-in-all, there are 18 ATSC standards.

Clear QAM--This is the digital transmission standard for unscrambled cablecasts. Cable companies use this standard to distribute programming from OTA TV stations. If your cable company provides music channels on its digital tier, then this is probably standard that it uses to do so. Yes, you can receive cable music channels on your digital TV set without that darned box! Unfortunately, most non-broadcast/non-music digital channels on cable are scrambled.

However, the Samsung P2370HD does not have a ClearQAM tuner. This means that it can receive only OTA digital channels and analog cable channels.