HDTV LCDs 60hz/120hz

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cjm3113, Aug 28, 2010.

1. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

I have been researching TVs for about a month now and have picked out two TVs that fit my needs and price range.

Both of the TVs are Sony. One is a 42'' with 120 hz refresh rate. The other is a 46'' with only 60hz refresh rate.

The TV will be used with a PS3 that I play some games on occasionally, watch some blu-rays (but mostly dvds) and watch a lot of sports on.

I have read plenty of reviews with people complaining they cannot stand watching football on their 60hz because of the motion blur, and then there are plenty of others saying they notice no difference at all.

So what is your guys experience? Do you notice the blur? Should I go with the 120hz or get the few extra inches?

2. TSuellentrop macrumors newbie

Which models are they? The EX400 and EX500? I can't think of a Sony this year at 42".

3. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Bro if sports is your thing, 120 hertz is AWESOME!! No joke it's like night and day especially on the Bravia's if that's what your referring to. I would also add that I had the same decision you have before you and after plenty of research I went with the Samsung 46" [touch of color series and Ethernet port for widgets] in lieu of the Sony because the specs were identical and the Sammy was a few hundred bucks cheaper on Newegg [plus free shipping]. Good luck!

Only downside is shortly after I purchased the 240 hertz sets were released. Oh well...:rolleyes:

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The extra hz are worthless if the video is not displayed at that rate

5. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

^^good point that I failed to mention. Don't most of the HD broadcasts carry the signal at max hertz nowadays? i.e. NBA @ TnT and SEC football @ CBS? NFL @ NBC Sunday nights?