HDTV/MONITOR question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BrettFarve04, Mar 7, 2009.

1. BrettFarve04 macrumors regular

Hey all,

I'm in the market for a new multi-purpose monitor. It's so confusing to me because, there so many different display types (LCD, DLP, Plasma) and connection ports. (VGA, DVI, HDMI)

My main uses for this monitor would be for xbox360 (with HDMI cord), my macbookpr0 (unibody) and a TV (that's where i get confused with TV and monitor :confused: )

I would love to accomplish this on my day off!!!

thanks all!!

Happy Saturday

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The ones labeled as a monitor don't usually include a TV tuner, which isn't a problem if you use a cable box. If you plug the cable line directly into the TV, or get over-the-air TV, then you need the one with a tuner for it to work as a TV.

Get as many HDMI ports as you can. The xbox might be the only thing you want to connect now, but you will want to connect more later, and HDMI offers the best quality, as well as HD video and audio in one cable.

Many have DVI in, which you can use to hook up your MBP.

Go for LCD. It uses less power and won't burn in.

3. BrettFarve04 thread starter macrumors regular

HOLY HOUSE that was fast (hahah sorry poor attempted at early morning humor)

Will a monitor have both HDMI and DVI ports..or will I have to mess around with converter plug-ins etc.... can you recommend any decent brands. My budget is maybe around 250-300. Do you think i can find something within that price range??

4. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Umm, isn't he missing the bits of info concerning the differences between TN, IPS, and etc? Plus the new LED back lit models with even richer colors and lower power?

EDIT:
    With a budget of $250 or $300 you're (maybe) limited to a TN type panel. There are many good ones. I have two 24" TN panels made by LG (model number: L246WH) that I paid like, $235 each for.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

For that range, I wasn't able to find any that worked as both a monitor and a HDTV, it looks like you might have to pick one or the other.

6. BrettFarve04 thread starter macrumors regular

then i would say just for my macbookpro and xbox....Hulu solves everything else :) as long as it's 1080i it's all good!

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

This one is a 23" that has DVI and HDMI, with built-in speakers. Probably not the best panel, but you have to make some tradeoffs.

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

9. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

well, if u want to hook up ur 360 and ur MBP, then i think u will need a dvi- displayport converter for the MBP. as for ur 360, u should be fine with that if u go with this monitor.

10. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

11. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

12. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

BTW, what'd you think of Favre this season? I'm a sconnie as well.

13. BrettFarve04 thread starter macrumors regular

LMAO let's just say...i wish I could change my macrumors name hahaha.

Here in Wisconsin he's a legend...but now i just think he's a sell-out!

14. BrettFarve04 thread starter macrumors regular

I came across this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001282

there are soo many arguments about brand, size etc.... I'm mainly want to use a monitor to play my xbox360 (hopefully 1080i HDMI) and to hookup my unibodymbp too it. I'm not concerned about a TV tuner...but if it has one..more power to me!

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s