HDTV playback better than imac screen?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by smali, Jun 1, 2011.

1. smali macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

I'm bit of a noob on video, codecs etc etc so bear with me.

I made a short 1min film using a canon hdslr. I edited in Premiere CS5 and exported as "HDTV 1920x1080 @24p mpeg2"

I checked the playback on my imac 21.5" screen using VLC Player in full screen mode, its looks good but kind of noisy and not as good as I hoped.

However I played it back on my Samsung 32" HDTV (1080p) and it looked brilliant. Infact I was amazed at the difference.

So what am I doing wrong here (probably everything lol)? I really want it to look as good as my HDTV on my imac screen, any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

2. mBox macrumors 68020

screen res

imac screen res higher than hdtv..period.

3. MADMAXX macrumors member

Exactly, 1080p is lower res than iMAC screen so you need to look at it in original size not in full screen.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Actually, the 21" iMac is 1080p, so no, it's not higher res. Sometimes videos just look kinda funky on computer screens though.

5. mBox macrumors 68020

As in the 1920x1080? I work with a few iMacs at local college and the required settings are higher. They might be the older 24" thus a higher res from what I remember. Its true that the computer monitor is not the best for reference video. There are some that can do it but thats another topic.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

TV screens are made to make motion-video look good. Computer screens are made to make graphics, words, and photos look good. It's just the way it is. Play a DVD in your Mac (at 100% size so there's no stretching) and you'll still see that it's not as clean and sharp looking as it is on any TV.

Nothing you can really do about it. Matching the computer-screen resolution helps, but it's never going to fix it entirely.

7. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

What is the bit rate of this file?

8. mBox macrumors 68020

Isnt the DSLR footage 30fps? Did Premiere do a decent 3:2 pulldown to 24fps for you?
    Havent done that in awhile in any of the NLE I use.

9. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

HDTV's are engineered to play video. There's a lot of processing going on that's not happening on your iMac screen. Also, the gamma is different so everything will appear brighter on your iMac (meaning, you'll see more noise and compression aritifacts that aren't necessarily visible on an HDTV).

This is part of the reason why you can't colour-correct on a computer screen.

10. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX