Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edisonwu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2005
hi,
I am trying to find a perfect way to play back the HDTV *.ts file on OSX. Most of the *.ts files contain mpeg2 video and AC3 5.1 audio. Although VLC player has no problem decoding and playing ts files, playback quality sucks. I will say that PowerDVD on my brother's IBM T42 is much and much better than VLC player on osX, both the sounds and photographs.

I currently use powerbook G4 17, with mobility radeon 9700. My friend told me this graphic card core has something called video acceleration and it works on PC. does the one inside my powerbook G4 has the same function or ability as it has on PC?

I notice the "Apple DVD Player" plays both perfect performance and quality with DVD video. There seems no differences between ts file and DVD video except the video resolution. but I fail to let it recognize and play ts file.

Does anyone has any idea about that?
-THX\-

Edison

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
That is a good question. I have noticed that with 32MB of GPU the HD movies skip a couple frames. Its rather annoying to say the least. :(

And this is with VLC.

Apple DVD player will not even select the movie file. :confused:

Anyone have any HD player application to recommend. :)

edisonwu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2005
With the VLC player on G4 1.5GHz the 1080i HD movie keeps skiping frames. I dare to say this software is not efficient.
there is another player called Mplayer. even worse than the one before.

I search in "http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/" with the key word "HDTV", results are disappointed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.