HDV 1080p/24...can't do anything with it. Please help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tjyoung, Sep 17, 2007.

1. tjyoung macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I received a number of files from our local community broadcaster for me to edit. The files are in 2 different formats: 1080p24 and DVDPro HD (both are .mov files). I have quicktime pro and hoped to open them in that but all I get is a whitescreen and the audio, no picture.

I've downloaded and installed the mpeg2 codec from Apple (cost 30 bucks), I have iLife08 which can't open the files. Maybe I have to have a new version of final cut? Which I don't and can't really afford.

Can anyone point me in the right direction how I can cost effectively open the files supplied and get them out to some other format?

thanks in advance. Todd

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

If it were just HDV you could use Final Cut Express, but because you are also needing to read DVCPro HD, You'll need Final Cut Pro.

Hope this helps.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

What codec is the 1080p24 footage stored in? HDV? AVCHD? DVCProHD? ProRes422? Apple Intermediate Codec?

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You need Final Cut Pro to get the HDV and DVCPro HD codecs.

Lethal

5. fradac macrumors regular

here is the solution, i had to do the similar thing when i had a lot of HDV footage. you need to get a software called mpegstreamclip, this is the site

http://www.squared5.com/

its totally free and can covert virtually any format to anything you can think of. once the file is opened save back again as a quicktime movie and pick the appropriate file format that imovie 08 will accept. the best would be apple intermediate codec. for this.

do a little research, a lot of video forums go through this process in a lot of detail.

hope this helps

6. tk421 macrumors 6502a

First, I think we have bad information.

1080p24 is not a file type or codec, but a frame size and a frame rate. On the other hand, DVCPro HD (which is what I assume you mean) is a codec.

Normally, HDV is not 1080p24. It is typically 720p or 1080i. 1080i is 59.94 or 29.97 frames per second.

Are you sure you have footage that is HDV, or is it something else?

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I wouldn't be surprised if someone shot in "24p" mode and is calling the footage 1080p24 when it's really 1080i60 (24p w/pull down). Many people don't realize that what the camera shoots at and what it records are aren't always the same thing.

Lethal