Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lisam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
I have spent all week emailing people in forums trying to find a solution to the same problem. I'm using a Sony FX1 and FCP 5. I have set up everything according to the book and I'm still having to render every clip i capture! It's taking 5 min. to render a simple 8 sec clip with no effects, every time. It's so frustrating.

Here's what the settings look like:
(in the camera menu) IN/OUT REC
VCR HDV/DV - HDV
COMPONENT - 1080i/480i
i.LINK CONV - OFF
A/V-DV OUT - OFF

(in FCP)
Easy Setup:
Sequence Preset - HDV - 1080i60
Capture Preset - HDV
Device Control Preset - Sony HD Firewire
Playback Output Video - None
Playback Output Audio - Default
Edit to tape/PTV Output Video - HDV (1440x1080) 30fps
Edit to tape/PTV Output Audio - HDV

Can anyone please help? I have a deadline and this is causing some serious grey hairs!

Lisa :confused:

lisam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
Mechcozmo said:
What computer are you doing this on?

Powerbook G4, 1 GHz PowerPC, 1 GB SDRAM, Tiger OS 10.4.2
I think the trouble lies in the settings for capture, but everything matches up. There must be some simple explanation, I just haven't found yet!

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Does that computer support HD video? Maybe it has to render it to create a lower quality file for playback?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

lisam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
Mechcozmo said:
Does that computer support HD video? Maybe it has to render it to create a lower quality file for playback?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Hmmm... It does work when I use the AIC settings but i don't have enough hard drive space to use that.
Where can I find out if my computer supports HD? I thought it could handle any video file, just as the camera and FCP can. Hmmm...

lisam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
Not my computer

lisam said:
Hmmm... It does work when I use the AIC settings but i don't have enough hard drive space to use that.
Where can I find out if my computer supports HD? I thought it could handle any video file, just as the camera and FCP can. Hmmm...

Ok, I've just changed the camera to DV and shot and captured in DV NTSC formats. The clips for that also have to be rendered!?! This is getting worse.

If the problem was my computer, I wouldn't have the same trouble in DV. Therefore, I guess it's something to do with the settings, rather than my computer.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Call Apple? Ask someone at an Apple Store? I'm not really sure... FCP isn't my area of expertise, unfortunately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.