HDV import settings

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by arjen92, Mar 28, 2009.

1. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

He,

My school hired me the sony HDR FX1. It's a handycam. It records on HDV. It supports both DV and HDV (1080i). Now I tried to import this on my iMac (24" 2.8 Ghz, 4Gb ram, FW 800 1Tb external harddisk). But I tried some settings for import, but it appeared it only wanted to work with (from the HD formats) "DVPRO HD 108i50 48 Khz". The other options said, something like "unable to find the deck/device". So I got my iMac to recognize the sony so I imported using now, and pressed play on the camera itself. It imported, but the imported stuff was just SD. What am I doing wrong? What are the right import settings?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

When I used the FX 1 last year and recorded in HDV I used the following settings (for PAL):

[​IMG]

What do you mean the video is in SD? Did you take a look at the file in Finder?

I can't remember if I could control the camera (it's not a handycam, but a semi-professional camcorder) via FCP or if I had to manually press play on the deck.

3. L3X macrumors 6502a

I import HDV footage using the ProRes422 setting in FCP.

4. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

The correct easy setup should be HDV 1080i50... if its not recognising the camera and you can get SD material imported then the camera itself is setup to perform a downconvert to SD.

With the camera set to play mode look in the menu system for something along to lines of 'HDV cownconvert to DV' and disable it.