HDV in iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by IgnatiusTheKing, Mar 12, 2008.

1. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

So I just got a project dumped in my lap: convert a bunch of HDV tapes to DVD. I don't have any video editing software on this computer ("on the way" mac pro below) yet, but will I be able to use iMovie to do this pretty simply?

I don't need to do any hard core editing or motion effects or anything, just combine a couple of clips and burn to DVD. Is it really as simple as I think or am I overestimating iMovie?

Thanks.

2. vistajumper macrumors newbie

I'm just a novice in the mac world, but I don't think you'll have any problems. We use a Canon HV20, minidv, in full HD mode; import (via firewire directly from the camera) using iMovie on an iMac OSX - not leopard, yet. From there you can export to quicktime or dvstream and use it however; we use iDVD to create dvds. I'm not sure if we're doing it the best way or not, like I said we're new, but I hope that helps a little.

3. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Thanks for the response. That sounds like exactly what I need to do. it's a pretty simple project so I'm glad I don't have to make it overly complicated. I've never used iMovie or iDVD (never really had a reason to before because I usually have access to Adobe Premiere or Avid) but I'm sure it's simple enough.