HDV Log and Capture in Final Cut Pro - Tape Digitized into many clips

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by alexnl, Jul 26, 2009.

1. alexnl macrumors newbie

I use Final Cut Pro 6, kept up-to-date, and am digitizing several HDV Mini DV tapes. Using a Sony HVR-5ZU Pro Camcorder and attaching to my MacPro via Firewire 400. I have tried several ways of logging clips, and despite adjusting settings and trying different methods, it creates a new clip every 30 seconds to 90 secs. So my 60 min video ends up being about 40 clips in total with a short momentary break between so that speakers have a word missing in there dialogue, etc.

I have noticed that whenever it creates a new clip it says in the capture dialogue window: Searching for Media

I have also tried Apple Pro Res and Intermediate Codec and neither captures past 20 secs, before telling me it is done capturing.

Attached Files:

2. filman408 macrumors regular

It creates a new clip everytime you pressed the Record button on the cam to start recording again. HDV sets those markers and FCP utilizes them.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Have you tried cleaning the heads of the camera you are using for capturing? The video shouldn't 'break' in the middle of a shot.

Lethal

4. alexnl thread starter macrumors newbie

rec/stop button not pressed

Thank you for your response. I filmed and I know I stopped recording about 2 times in each tape

5. alexnl thread starter macrumors newbie

We haven't but the camera is brand new. Is it neccessary to clean in the case. We have only filmed perhaps 10 hrs on it. Thanks!

6. djkirsten macrumors regular

I hate using "capture now" but try that ( if you haven't already) and then if that doesn't work try rolling with your deck in local, capture now, and "uncontrollable device" set as deck control.

7. alexnl thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried logging clips and capture now. Haven't tried using a different device control, but will give that a try and let you know.
    Thanks!

8. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

Open User Preferences
    You will see "Abort capture on dropped frames" and "On timecode break : Make new clip"

You can try switching to "Abort capture on dropped frames" to off and set the "On timecode break" to "Warn after capture"

This may help.

9. alexnl thread starter macrumors newbie

I have this already set. I am now trying with an external tape deck, the sony HVR-M25U, and get the same thing. How is it possible there are this many dropped frames??

10. EtieneR macrumors newbie

Hey Alexnl

I've had the same problem just a few hours ago... so like a good student I went to the FCP manual and I just realized what was the problem.
    The HDV capture is configured to "Create new clip on start/stop" in the Clip Settings tab of the Log and Capture Window, so you can deselect the box and the problem is solved.

I hope you'll get the answer.

Etiene

11. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Dirty recording heads, crap tape, mixed tape brands ... these are the reasons I won't mind seeing tape go.

We (not my decision and I wasn't consulted) changed from Panasonic miniDV tapes to Sony tapes and got nothing but trouble. I have ditched all the Panasonic tapes (which gave zero trouble over the years), don't mix the brands and have cleaned everything. Often. The deck is in for a clean and general service as we speak, err, type whatever. The Sony 5-pack of tapes we buy actually comes with a head cleaning tape. Says something...