HDV native editing/Workflow

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by FSMBP, Nov 29, 2009.

1. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I apologize in advance if there is a thread about this but I couldn't find one that was exactly the same. [Assume high-end Mac Pro, and FCS3)

1. If you have a 8-Core Mac Pro, can you (smoothly) edit a HDV movie natively? Also, if you edit in HDV, does everything have to be rendered to playback? [Please don't lecture about ProRes just yet.)

2. Let's say I uploaded 5 hours of HDV footage natively onto my Mac but MacRumors members suggest to edit in ProRes. How would I go about converting those into ProRes (also, without losing time code start/stop data).

I'm just curious about these. If anyone can answer those, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

1. Up until w/in the last month we had a dozen G5s (a few first or second generation) editing HDV on almost a daily basis.

1a. No.

2. You could export from FCP or Compressor. I don't know if those will retain the data used for stop/start detection (which is separate from timecode). Also, if you have a fast enough Mac you can capture HDV into ProRes via FW on the fly. You could also just change your render settings in your sequence to ProRes which is almost like the best of both worlds (small file sizes of HDV w/ProRes quality for anything that requires a render). The fear of editing HDV natively I see from a lot of people is over blown, IMO.

Lethal

3. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Aight, I was just checking to make sure I can handle my next project.

Thanks, as usual, Lethal!

4. INNOVA macrumors newbie

Best Settings Hdv To Fcp??

Im new at this just bought a HDV cam. i need to know what are the best settings to import to FCP? i dont want to loose quality. what is the best settings to export for Blue ray???

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!:eek:

THANKS
    LUIS

5. romanaz macrumors regular

romanaz

I've had no problem editing HDV footage on my 17inch macbook pro in either HDV native or ProRes... the only chokepoint I had was the 2gigs of ram in it, when I got it up to 6gigs, it was no problem. Sure my render times when its all said and done weren't fantastic.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Just use the appropriate HDV Easy Setup in FCP. For example, if your footage is HDV 1080i60 use the HDV 1080i60 Easy Setup.

Lethal

7. lesreaper2009 macrumors member

Easy Setup

This is what I use for all of my shoots as well and it works great.

8. INNOVA macrumors newbie

Hdv In Fcp Settings

Sorry for the ignorance. let me see if i understand.

i'm recording in cine mode and hdv24p so my settings to import in FCP are the following ?

FORMAT: HD
    USE: HDV-1080p24
    RATE: 23.98fps

correct??

Thanks
    Luis:apple:

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What camera are you using to record the footage?

Lethal

10. INNOVA macrumors newbie

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

12. INNOVA macrumors newbie

13. INNOVA macrumors newbie

Fcp 16:9 Export Settings??

I know this has nothing to do with HDV but can anyone help me with the best settings in exporting 16:9 format to dvd using studio pro? i recorded 16:9 with a CANON XL1 and when i finished editing the footage and i export using 16:9 settings the way i thnk it is it comes out nothing like 16:9. i have tried everything using the settings in quicktime etc.. CAN ANYONE HELP!!!:eek:

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

try exporting via quicktime conversion click options go to size go down to 740 x480 16:9 (note this will downscale to SD widescreen)

15. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The best way to go about this would be to use Compressor. Export a self-contained Quicktime in FCP (File -> Export -> Quicktime Movie; don't use Quicktime Conversion). The resulting QT file will be identical to your sequence setting (which should be DV-NTSC anamorphic). Then, drop that file into Compressor. It has presets for DVD video (.m2v) and audio (.ac3). It will preserve the aspect ratio it's fed unless you modify the geometry controls. The .m2v and .ac3 files would then be imported as assets into DVDSP.

Also note that DV and HDV cameras use anamorphic processing for 16:9 video, since their sensors are actually 4:3 native. Also, NTSC video uses non-square pixels, unlike a computer monitor (square pixels), which can affect the way the video looks when the QT file is viewed outside of NTSC aware software like FCP.