Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flahiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
I have done some DV editing on my aging ibook G4 and will be looking to upgrade in the next 6 months or so. Also I want to upgrade my video rig to HD and will probably choose an HDV format camera.

My options for the Mac are either a 20" iMac or a macbook with a 20" or 24" display. I would be editing on an external drive in both cases. Can the current round of macbooks handle this work?

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
flahiker said:
I have done some DV editing on my aging ibook G4 and will be looking to upgrade in the next 6 months or so. Also I want to upgrade my video rig to HD and will probably choose an HDV format camera.

My options for the Mac are either a 20" iMac or a macbook with a 20" or 24" display. I would be editing on an external drive in both cases. Can the current round of macbooks handle this work?

possibly but not well... id go for the iMac or a MBP...

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
They could. As far as I know, video editing doesn't require 3D graphics, and the MB's processor will handle it jst as well as the MBP's:)

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
The MacBook's have the same processor as the iMac, it's just the small screen that could make editing a pain to work with.

I'd get a iMac or even a Mac Pro if you can afford it (you can customize it so that it only costs 2000 dollars).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.