HDV on Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SpastikMonkii, Feb 6, 2008.

1. SpastikMonkii macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

My Powerbook died, which has given me a reason to upgrade.

I work in video, mostly HDV (typically JVC 720p24). Can a 2.2ghz Macbook Pro handle the workload of HDV?

I'm looking to get either the 200gb 7200rpm or the 250gb 5400rpm drives.

My video is streamed over firewire 800 from my g-tech external RAID. (two 320gb 7200rpm drives in RAID 0)

Luckily I'm a grad students, so I have access to mac pro work stations.

The question I'm essentially asking myself is, do I spring for the Macbook Pro assuming I'l be able to edit HDV on it and no longer be chained to an editing-lab? Or if the MBP won't handle the workload, do I save some cash, just get a Macbook, and do my editing in the labs?

Help/Advice is appreciated.

2. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

i cannot offer any real world experience, but i will offer my two cents. Any time you have access to a mac pro workstation, sure as heck use it for your projects. If you are on the go, you will notice a lag behind the mac pro on a macbook pro, but it will not be as significant as it would be on a macbook or even a powerbook. Having a dedicated video card is the clincher in this case and the macbook pros is nothing to shake a stick at. So long as your macbook pro carries the full load of ram, it should be able to handle your on the go projects nicely.

3. ipo macrumors member

go for the Penryn

wait till penryn is out! Or buy the Mac Pro .
    the Penryns incorporate SSE 4 -instructions that make video a bit better,as far as i've been told. :cool:

4. SpastikMonkii thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice so far!

The good news is, a professor has lent me his Macbook Pro for a couple weeks, which could buy me time until Penryn comes out.

As for just buying a Mac Pro, that's not an option. I need something mobile.

5. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I do simple video editing AVCHD files using iMovie on both my MBP and iMac and performance is great. Now I do believe I am not editing raw AVCHD but that a converstion occurs. Regardless it works great. No specific HDV experience but either way they are very big files :)