HDV to DVD workflow -check please

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by waistdeep, Jun 23, 2009.

1. waistdeep macrumors newbie

So i have read up a lot on this and I am still a little confused how to get the best quality on DVD. I imported as HDV 16:9 and set up my sequence and HDV. The QT export (non 422) is 10 gb. Do i need to de-interlace also when exporting?

Them export using QT conversion with ProRes422HQ, as self-contained movie.

Open compressor, use BEST QUALITY DVD 90 minutes. Compress.

Open DVDSP and burn.

Is this the best way to achieve maximum res on the DVD? Is this compressing it twice in reality? :) Thanks!

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The transcode from HDV to ProRes HQ after editing is typically unnecessary and you're just wasting hard drive space. The quality will remain the same and you'll just have much bigger video files. One exception would be if you planed on grading in Color, which doesn't support HDV (it needs ProRes, uncompressed HD/SD, DPX or Cineon files).

Regarding the deinterlacing question, if the video was shot in an interlaced mode (like 1080i60), you'll likely soften the video for a more film-like look, which you may or may not like. Experiment with it both ways, if anything.

3. illpickle macrumors newbie

4. waistdeep thread starter macrumors newbie

Where would be the best place to de-interlace? In FCP? Thanks so much for the help.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Never deinterlace in FCP and there's no need to deinterlace in this situation anyway because your DVD is interlaced.

Lethal

6. waistdeep thread starter macrumors newbie

What about de-interlacing in compressor? I played a interlaced version on a sony xbr HDTV and the DVD looked like poop. I play the movie off my tape in my camera and there is no interlacing. I guess i don't understand how it works. Any help is greatly appreciated!

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What model camera do you have?

Lethal

8. waistdeep thread starter macrumors newbie

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The HC-7 is an interlaced camera and since it plays back fine on your TV interlacing isn't the problem but something else. Are you sure what you are seeing w/the DVD you made are interlacing artifacts and not just artifacts related to scaling an SD DVD up onto and HDTV? There's also a chance you did something accidently screwed up the field order which would jack up the image when it played back.

Lethal

10. waistdeep thread starter macrumors newbie

what should the field order be? Is there a definative HDV to DVD workflow somewhere? I've seen the stuff on kenstone.net. I appreciate all the input. I am just up against the deadline wall and need to put this thing on DVD and have it look great. Please help!

I'm in a real pickle and I'd thought I would try writing you directly. I subscribe to Lynda.com and have been through all your tutorials in FCP, compressor and DVD SP. But I am still at a loss. I am a beginning filmmaker, shooting in HDV on s Sony HC-7. I have edited the entire 54 minute documentary in HDV, but upon reading/learning, am now rendering in ProRes. Now is where I'm lost. I am going to DVD and need the ebst quality. I have dumped some trials to DVD and they all look like garbage. Interlacing is extremely predominant and distracting.

In know in your tutorials you say no need to compress, go straight to DVD SP, but my QT export is 10Gb. So, do i

- FILE>EXPORT> USING COMPRESSOR ? ...and de-interlace there?
    - FILE>EXPORT> QUICKTIME
    - FILE>EXPORT> QT CONVERSION use 422?

ahhhhhhhh

so many choices and all I need is a good looking (non-interlaced looking) DVD for the client (20 copies). I feel like I've educated myself to the best of my abilities, but can't find a consistent workflow for HDV to DVD in the highest possible quality. I just don't know what to do!!

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I've made a number of DVDs from HDV footage by just sending the HDV 1080i60 timeline directly to Compressor and using one the DVD presets in Compressor (basically like the guide on Kenstone.net). Unfortunately there are so many possible things to go wrong that it's hard to narrow it down w/o being able to look right over your shoulder. I know this is a basic Q, but did you create the sequence using the HDV 1080i60 Preset?

Lethal

12. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

Here's a question I've been wanting to ask (sorry to hijack the thread a bit) but it is somewhat related:

Does sending the sequence to Compressor 3 (ie. FCS2) make a significant difference in the HDV to SD-DVD conversion? Because I have Compressor 2 (ie. FCS1) but I recently bought the FCS2 upgrade which is sitting behind me, but I'm waiting to finish a couple projects first before making the upgrade...I'm very tempted to upgrade mid-project but I'm sure that's not encouraged.

Also to contribute to the answer of HDV to DVD workflow, I've done quite a bit of research myself and of course it seems that everyone's workflow and results will vary. However, it seems that the best results are given when you capture to Apple ProRes 422 (which I have yet to ever do, since I'm still on FCS1), edit, and then send HDV sequence to Compressor I think.

With FCS1, I've been editing in HDV, creating a SD sequence in FCP and pasting the sequence onto that and then exporting to Compressor. The result isn't great, and the picture looks a bit soft, not nearly as sharp as HDV looks. I'm sure there are better answers and if there are, I'd appreciate to hear them...

13. rdmedia macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've read through these posts on this topic and I also have a similar problem with my own configuration going from HDV to finally exporting to DVD
    I am shooting with a Sony HDR-FX1000e ( being in australia and shooting PAL)
    My last project was the first with the new HDV cam and settings on FCP which I set to suit...so I thought.

I shot in HDV, uploaded with the HDV capture preset and everything was fine until it got to Compressor and/or DVD Studio Pro.
    The slow mo's I created in my project played fine (done in Motion to avoid loss of frames in FCP) when imported into the timeline from Motion, but when I played them after on the DVD I created in Studio Pro, still slow mo's were ok, but as soon as the shot has any motion in it, it staggers about etremely painful to the eye, like a strobe effect would....but on steroids!

I'm relatively new to the Mac and FCP (coming from Avid on PC) so any advice from any of you brainiacs out there is muchly appreciated.

The following settings are what are currently being used:
    (please reply with better configuration if there is one)

Easy Setup

Format: HDV
    Use: Custom Setup
    Rate: 25fps Sequence Preset: HDV 1080i50
    Capture Preset: HDV
    Device Control Preset: HDV 1080i50 F/W Basic
    Playback Output Video: None
    Playback Output Audio: Default
    Edit to Tape/PTV Output Video: HDV (1440x1080)50i
    Edit to Tape/PTV Output Audio: Default

Sequence Settings

(General)

Frame Size: 1440 x 1080 HD(1440 x 1080)(16:9)
    Pixel Aspect Ratio: HD(1440 x 1080) (Anamorphic is NOT selected)
    Field Dominance: Upper (Odd)
    Editing Timebase: 25
    Quicktime Video Settings Compressor: HDV 1080i50

(Render Control)

Codec: Same as Sequence Codec
    Master Templates and Motion Projects Quality: Best
    (Always use best quality when rendering movies IS selected)

I am sorry this is sooo long, but I'm pulling my hair out over this...and its probably so basic to fix.
    Also, In my Browser, all my logged clips have frame sizes of 720 x 576 and Compressor column for all clips say DV-PAL......how is this the case if my settings were for HDV and when they were originally logged, they actually were recognised as 1440x1080 but have changed somehow along the way??

Thanks again for your help..

Dan