HDV to Macbook pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mavericks7913, May 25, 2016.

1. mavericks7913 macrumors 6502

Ummm idk why but I have Sony HVR-Z1U in my house which was very expansive one. I have 6 HDV cassettes so I shot some videos but the problem is that how to import videos from HDV to the computer? I know that HDV can be import to the computer but I have no idea what to do with Mac computer. I need to find the cable first to connect to my computer tho. Any idea?

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

You can use Firewire cable to connect the camera to your apple computer. You have to have software that can handle HD signal form the camera, such as Final cut pro or iMovie. After connecting the camera, in the software you select import or capture, whatever they call it. The tape will begin playing and the video gets captured by the app.

3. mavericks7913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thx!

4. BeechFlyer macrumors regular

BeechFlyer

Yup, FireWire goes straight from your Z1U into the Mac. I used to own a couple of those cameras, and while the transfer was slow (i.e. real-time), it is pretty straightforward.

5. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

6. BeechFlyer macrumors regular

BeechFlyer

Or a Thunderbolt port, in which case you can use the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter.

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes, because despite what the sellers say, Firewire to USB will not work for video transfer.