HDV Video Cameras - Canon HV40

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by electronique, Aug 3, 2009.

1. electronique macrumors 6502

Hi. Im looking to getting into some video action.
    Ive owned for a short amount of time (compulsive purchase) a Panasonic 3ccd DV camera (?? model).. The quality was really great..

The market is now flooded with cams HDD and SD cams.. But the Canon HV40, has caught my eye.

Anyone own this cam?

Any advantages/disadvantages over an HDD cam? (Apart from having to purchase DV tapes??

2. adamk77 macrumors 6502

Basic camcorder under $400

.. sorry, posted here by mistake. Can't find option to delete.

3. electronique thread starter macrumors 6502

:( I thought this was a response..

4. leandroc76 macrumors regular

This is just sad.

Out of mere sympathy:

SKIP this to get to the your answer

I own the HV30. Awesome. Get it. Or save a few bucks and get an HV20.

If you go this route, look up LetusMini 35mm or RNG35, ooooor just visit www.hv20.com. LOTS OF GOOD stuff in those forums.

Videography much like Photography, is about composition and lighting. Learn about the fundamentals of videography. After that, your decision would be based on your budget.

It would probably lead you to an HV20... to save for a DOF adapter. The results are astounding.

Check Vimeo.com, search for HV20, HV30 and HV40, the HV30 has agroup of their own that produce some incredible footage of everyday stuff using DOF adapters.

To answer YOUR question...

I don't know if it matters what TYPE of camera. HDD or MiniDV, as long as it works for you in your workflow. I find that miniDV gives me bit more secure feeling. At least I can go back to the old footage if I need to, without filling up my hard drives.

You can go to the Backup to DVD route but that pretty much is the same thing as keeping the miniDV. Both have similar life spans. But in the end the back up is just another step in the workflow.

Like I said, learn the fundamentals of videography, that includes defining a workflow that suits you and your endeavors.

Good luck and have fun!

5. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

6. electronique thread starter macrumors 6502

I think thats been discontinued here in Aus, to make way for the HV40..

7. cdpilkington macrumors member

Advantages over an HDD cam - as it uses tape, you can easily lend people a tape, rather than capturing footage and then giving it them on another HDD. Might not sound useful, but if you need someone else to edit footage, it's a lifesaver. Plus, it gives you an extra backup.
    If you drop a HDD camera, you'll generally lose the footage. Tape requires quite an effort to destroy!

I couldn't recommend the HV40 more. I've picked one up not long ago, and it's been a beaut. What's even better is that the HV series has a big fan base, and there's lot's of resources for getting the best out of it (DIY equipment, etc).

8. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

TAPE TAPE TAPE!
    GO TAPE!
    You get 12gigs of info for a dollar.
    can't beat that!

tough as nails too! dropped on in a beer once. let it dry for a day. it was fine.