HDV video capture on FCP - no shot date and time transferred :(

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ArthurDaley, May 22, 2010.

1. ArthurDaley macrumors regular

I used to capture my HDV tapes on Windows using a free tool, all was good.

I've now switched to Mac for capture using FCP V7. It all seems good but what's very disappointing is the fact the file metadata appears to be missing i.e. the date and time of capture.

On the PC, HDVsplit will automatically during transfer give the filenames names which match the data and time of the capture.

Now I've done the transfer using FCP on the Mac, I can't see how to get that metadata so I have no idea when the videos where shot let alone the nice feature of auto-writing file names with it

Note - I just tested things again on the PC and the PC (Windows running HDVsplit) nicely makes the Created and Modfied date and time also match all clips on the tape. Not on the Mac running FCP where it instead gives all files the capture day and time

Help?

2. ArthurDaley thread starter macrumors regular

Rather crap.

So much for the Mac. I'm going to switch back to Windows XP for capture and the free HDVsplit just so I get the shot dates and times and automatically written to the filename of each clip. I'll then use ClipWrap to turn them to QuickTime.

L

3. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

capturing off tape just gives the 'untitled' name

youd have to name each clip with the date it was shot.

With 'log and transfer' ie solid state footage, you can auto add date/time etc... as part of the clip name.

HDV is really cpu intensive so encode to Apple Pro ress (lt) before editing, as youll be having issues editing native hdv (well, for me 30mins+ sequences resulted in out of syc issues)

4. PenguinMac macrumors member

I used to use HDVsplit before I switched from an HDV tape to AVCHD flash memory camcorder. The program is only reading the camera information from tape and renaming the file appropriately. Since it's tape (horrendous to use, glad it's almost gone), you can turn on the data display on your camcorder and record the date/time displayed for each clip, then rename the files yourself. Might be easier than keeping an old computer running for only 1 task, and doing the transfer/rewrap with ClipWrap.

5. ArthurDaley thread starter macrumors regular

"I used to use HDVsplit before I switched from an HDV tape to AVCHD flash memory camcorder. The program is only reading the camera information from tape and renaming the file appropriately."

Exactly it's simple so you'd expect FCP on the Mac or any other video prog. on the Mac to do it.

" Since it's tape (horrendous to use, glad it's almost gone),"

Actually it's not much of a problem to use and recently again I was considering changing to AVCHD flash but decided HDV tape is still currently the best mode. Each to their own.

" you can turn on the data display on your camcorder and record the date/time displayed for each clip, then rename the files yourself. Might be easier than keeping an old computer running for only 1 task, and doing the transfer/rewrap with ClipWrap."

Nah too cumbersome, but thanks for suggesting.