HDV -- video hanging up?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by CMD is me, Jul 21, 2008.

1. CMD is me macrumors 6502

I've been testing out a new Sony HC9 miniDV. I just shot 10 minutes of new footage on a new Fuji miniDV tape (not considered a "HD tape"). During the 10 minutes, the video froze for about 1/2 a second EIGHT times. What's the deal? Not a good tape to use or what? I had stopped and started the tape a few times during the shooting.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Not a good tape or the camera needs maintenance. If it's a new camera you just might have got a lemon from the factory.

Lethal

3. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

I had used that brand of tape with another HDV camera and it worked fine. But I also tried a TDK standard miniDV tape and shot 20 without any drops. Don't know if it was the tape or the camera since its brand new. I guess a good argument for HD tapes. Just not a fan of $15 HDV media -- its like the old days of buying SVHS! Sure would hate to have shot an hour of video on vacation to find out it freezes every minute or so! I'll have to shoot some more and see what's up.

4. insanepilot macrumors newbie

insanepilot

i'd just return it and get the HDR-SR12. great camera; avchd; only problem is you have a hard time finding enough HD to hold all the raw footage. didn't know that miniDV was a true avchd format though; maybe try the actual Sony brand of tape.

5. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

I made a correction to my post... so the SR12 and AVCHD files are fine on you MBP? I'm worried about the file size. Here's the post if you want to reply re: AVCHD vs HDV: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=509844 But the Sony is miniDV HD (HDV) and as far as editing is concerned, both are 1080i. I've tested both side by side at home in a A/B setting. The AVCHD has finally caught up the HDV (just not passed it yet).

6. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

I ran out and bought a couple Sony HDV tapes -- $13 per ouch! But I read over on DVinfo the do help a lot with dropouts. Testing right now and will see.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's just anecdotal, but you got more drop outs on one tape than I've seen on thousands of hours HDV shot on DV tape over the past 4 years or so. Either something is wrong w/the camera or something is wrong w/the tape that you used (possibly just a bad batch of tapes from the manufacturer).

Lethal

8. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

That's my hope. I'm running out of time before our trip to deal with online exchanges! I read on DVinfo where someone also had issues with Fuji tapes on their HC7.

So I put in the Sony tape, stat the camera in a room pointing it out a window and turned up the stereo. I figured playing it back I could just listen for a stop in the music (then check the video to verify it wasn't just the stereo). I played it back running through my stereo at work and NO dropouts. None!

The 2nd TDK was an old old tape I had recorded on a couple times with my miniDV. So HOPEFULLY it was just a really bad tape followed by a not so great tape.

Of course I've read you shouldn't reuse tapes either, but I think I'll reuse this test tape for at least some non critical stuff and see how it does -- hate to waste a $13 tape on a single test.