HDV Video Quality Question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bSkiem19, Dec 8, 2007.

1. bSkiem19 macrumors newbie

Hi, I just got a canon XH-A1 HDV Camcorder and have filmed a few things with it. I also have a older canon GL2. Anyways, I've noticed that the HDV video dosn't look any better than the GL2's SD video. I'm not new to any of this stuff but is there anything i need to do different or change on importing/editing/exporting/camera. I only have a 17 inch apple monitor from a couple years a ago so I'm wondering if thats some of it(how i'm viewing it). The video is clearer than SD, but it just looks like SD thats been compressed to look like hd. All the HDV footage i've seen has looked like the hi-def content on tv. I'm working with Final Cut 4.5 and all the other pro apps. I've ordered Final Cut Studio 2, so hopefully working with fcp 6 should fix some of it since its HDV native. So I'm open to any suggestions.

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Have you watched the footage on an HDTV yet? When you're editing in FCP, you're not getting full quality unless you're using a broadcast monitor or similar device (MXO, etc.). I'd suggest shooting some test footage, driving over to a buddy's and hooking up the GL2 and XH-A1 to their HDTV for a side-by-side comparison.

I owned a GL2 a few cams before my A1, and I've got to say, this thing is surprisingly powerful. A pretty amazing tool given the price. Don't give up yet!:)

3. bSkiem19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, yeah I have watched the video on my hdtv but just using the AV video cable. So if I bought a component out cable for the camera it would be viewable in hd,right?

4. dave@toastmedia macrumors member

what was the FCP video settings?
    what was the final output?
    what codec did you crunch it out with?

both of these play a major role in the final video content quality.

5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

The standard kit comes with a component, so you should already have one. But i strongly urge you to try this. Strongly.

6. bSkiem19 thread starter macrumors newbie

The
    Settings:
    sequence preset-dvcpro hd 1080i60, Don't have HDV because don't have FCP6 yet.
    Sequence settings:
    Frame size-custom 1440x1080
    Pixel Aspect ratio-dvcpro hd 1080i60
    Compresser-HDV 1080i60

Final Output:HDV 1080i60

Codec:Quicktime

7. bSkiem19 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Something is wrong with that. You shouldn't have DVCPRO HD settings mixed with HDV settings.. they are completely different codecs.

Frame size: 1440x1080
    Pixel aspect ratio: HDV 1080i

It shouldn't be DVCPRO HD. 1080i/p DVCPRO HD is 1280x1080.
    HDV 1080i/p is 1440x1080. They use different pixel aspect ratios. That's probably why your footage doesn't look right.

Just go in to the sequence settings and load the HDV 1080i60 Easy Setup.

9. bSkiem19 thread starter macrumors newbie

I only have FCP 4.5 so I don't have HDV as a sequence setting thats why I have been doing it that way, but I will be getting FCP6 in a couple days so then I will be able to do that.