HE Discount and how it works?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Soundburst, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

The MBA I wish to buy is £999. . .or £940 as a student. . .but £850 on the HE section with the option to get AppleCare for 50 quid.

My question is: If I get my friend to go in and buy the Laptop with her student HE discount. . .is the computer registered to her? Or does the Mac and AppleCare come out of the store unopened and I can then register it in my own name etc.

This also depends on whether Apple do HE discount in store rather than the usual Educational discount.

Thanks for any help.

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

See link in my sig. The HE discount online is different to in store- the 3 year warranty is free online but not in store. Almost all university students get the HE discount.

The T&Cs online state when the laptop is purchased it must be intended to be used by the student buying it. However, students are allowed to sell their machines later so they are not locked to one person. I'm not advocating fraud, but that's the facts.

In store is different, if you and a student go in together and are quite open about what you are doing and they accept it then there's no problem. Couple of people I know did it without issue, I think the guys were just happy to make a sale!