HE Discount on MBP's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Frozo., May 31, 2011.

1. Frozo. Guest

Hello, As many people know I've been looking at getting a MBP for some time and I know that you can get HE discount when at University (Which I'm going to in September) But I read on another forum you can possibly get HE discount before going to University (Proving that you've got a place etc) But I'm just wanting to confirm that you can do this and how do you go about doing this?

(I'm looking at buying a low spec 15" and then adding a few things)

2. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple education store on their website.

3. Frozo. thread starter Guest

I've seen that :) But I can't access HE if I'm not there :( And I'm wondering whether I can get the discount before I've started?

4. marc11 macrumors 68000

5. cinek macrumors 6502

you can get the discount even without going to uni - you just need to know how & with luck apple won't know that....

your best bet is to give apple a call and explain it, you'll probably have to go down to your local store with proof etc

6. Frozo. thread starter Guest

I would of preferred to buy online as I can customise it but if they do similar specs in the store then I won't mind, I'll have to give apple a ring later

7. Guini macrumors newbie

If you're going to University in the UK use this -

http://www.mikewilson.cc/2010/08/18...ur-own-home-youve-got-to-be-a-student-though/

The above link will allow you to gain access to your chosen University's HE store from which you can then purchase your MBP with discount. Apple, apparently, will e-mail you for proof that you study at said university, so consider uploading your UCAS and Acceptance letters, ready to e-mail them back with proof that you are a HE student (come September). This is the method I will be using to get myself a MBP, I'm just waiting for B2S to come online :)

If you don't already have an unconditional place and can't prove that you will be attending that University and they e-mail you, then they will either cancel your order or charge you the full amount (I've heard both from different people)

8. Frozo. thread starter Guest

I'll look into that, thanks :) Yeah I've got a conditional place that I was offered a while back which I accepted :)

9. Guini macrumors newbie

If it's just a conditional offer, I'm not sure where you'll stand. Good luck anyway.

10. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

You should buy online (or on the phone) as you get a free 3 year warranty, no need to buy AppleCare. If you buy in store then you don't get a free warranty. See here.

Strictly speaking to buy online through the education store you must be a registered student, ie enrolled at the university (see the T&Cs I quoted in the link above). Having an offer is not enough. I'm not here to tell you what to do, just trying to let you know the facts. :)

11. flipshot macrumors 6502a

I got the student discount over the phone back in 2007 before I got to university. I needed to scan and email them my AS12 UCAS letter though, thats the one you get once your offer is unconditional (normally after results day). You get the 3 year warranty over the phone too.