HE discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mattisfrommars, Jul 3, 2008.

1. mattisfrommars macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm in the market for a new black macbook. (the rational "It's the same bloody computer, just upgrade it yourself- it's not worth the extra money just because it looks cooler" part of my brain lost big time).

Trouble is I'm not at uni, i don't find out if i get in or not til mid august. But my brother went to Liverpool uni last year so i figured i can use his discount. But because he's home for summer he can't get on to the uni network to access the HE store.

How can i make sure that I get the full discount available to him? I hear that there's educational discounts as well as higher education ones and that one isn't as good as the other? If i ring up to order- what sort of % off should i be expecting? Or am I better waiting til September when i'm in university to place the order. I don't think i can cope without a computer that works reliably until then though!

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

If you buy from the HE Store you get 3 years of warranty included for free. The discount is also much larger:

[​IMG]

The Apple HE Store telephone number is 08000391010. Get him to call and say he wants to buy from the HE Store but remember, it will have to be his name and debit/credit card that is used.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Since when?! I've never heard that for Great Britain, much less the U.S.

Unless you're factoring in the cost of AppleCare bringing the discounted computer back to the regular price...

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Apple has an agreement with UK universities and provides 3 years of warranty and one year of telephone support for free to customers of the UK Higher Education Apple Store at http://apple.procureweb.ac.uk.

It has nothing to do with the USA.

5. sananda macrumors 68020

they didn't have it when i was last buying macs in 2005 but they tell me it is the case now.

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Yeah, it was introduced in early 2006 I think. I remember selling my 2005 iMac G5 for a Core Duo iMac just to get the 3 year warranty (and the Intel processor!).

The offer is ONLY available from the Higher Education store. If you buy from the regular education store you are out of luck.

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Parents can buy on behalf of children who are students so the credit/debit card details need the same surname (if you know what I mean)......

The 3 year HE warranty discussion continues !!!!

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I believe that Apple will do further student-status checks if you send the computer for repair during the second or third year. If you do it in the first, it's a no brainer because everyone is entitled to the one year warranty.

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The 3 year HE base warranty is transferable if you sell the machine - there is nothing that states that the second owner has to be student.

This is what you find out when your son is a law student....

10. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Apart from the little message at the bottom of the HE store, I don't think it says anything about the warranty anywhere!

11. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

What do you need to do to transfer a HE warranty to someone else? (not a student, but neither am I now.)
    I'm selling my macbook.

12. logana macrumors 65816

logana

You can transfer the warranty to anybody !!

In theory you need to write to Apple in Ireland and give the serial number and the new owner's details....there is a section near the end of the HE agreement that tells you what to do.

In practice - nothing - the serial number is known to Apple and as long as the new owner can quote your name and address the warranty will be fine. If it needs any warranty work done then the Apple Store can amend the owner's details.