HE discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by commerce, Aug 12, 2010.

1. commerce macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

What type of HE discount do the UK Apple stores accept? I have an unconditional offer letter, will that be OK?

Also, when I phoned telesales they quoted me a price of £829.99 for a 13" MBP 2.4ghz, which is around £30 cheaper then the HE online store. :confused:

2. raj21 macrumors newbie

I have the GM Family Discount- but was told by a salesman that the lowest price he offered me- which was the "internet" pricing was the lowest they would go and the GM Family Discount would not apply. Does anyone know if this is true?

When I purchased my Ford Edge- I used the Ford Z Plan and they gave me the "internet" pricing, along with the Ford Z plan discount AND the rebates and incentives. I figured the GM Family would work the same as that.

Health Aid | Jason Natural Products

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I don't think they will accept your letter. Why don't you just wait the remaining two weeks till you're enrolled?

4. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

commerce, I would PM you a link to use for the few weeks between offer and enroll, but you don't accept PMs so I cannot! Enjoy uni!

5. wilkinsontr macrumors newbie

The UK Apple stores are limited in the amount of educational discount they can offer and depending on the item it varies from 5% to 15% and not all items attract a discount.

However, Apple's UK Online store offers two levels of discount, Standard Education Discount and Higher Education Discount. And there is is quite a bit of difference between the Education and the Higher Education Discounts with the Higher Education Discount offer the better deal.

There is a major caviate with this this and that is your are only able to access the Higher Education Discount part of the Online store if you are a registered and enrolled student at a recognised HE establsihement (Apple List these be county) and also your are logged on to and are access the internet via the Institute network (they can and do check, if your not you won't gain access). But for the additional £150 I saved (18 months ago) plus a free ipod nano with the Higher Educational Discount on the purchase of a Mac Book Pro, it was worth the additional hassle.

Apple Protectin plans are also hugely discounted I paid £49 for the Mac Book Pro rather the rrp of c£249.

6. calb macrumors 6502

You can be specific about which education discount you want in a retail store. There are three tiers: standard (school), further education, or higher education. I have bought products in Apple stores with these last two tiers, and IIRC the HE discount is around the 20% marker. (NB: If you use HE discount, AppleCare costs ~£50.)

I do remember reading that an unconditional offer letter is fine for getting HE discount. A conditional one isn't, but an unconditional one is. Or if you have the UCAS letter confirming the institution you are going to, that is also fine.

7. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

A further note, is that you do not need to pay for an additional 3 year warranty extension. You get this BY DEFAULT on Education store purchases. The £49 option is for TELEPHONE technically support. If you buy on HE you will get a 3 year warranty as standard!

8. Chrismcfall Suspended

I'm off to get a MBP tomorrow, I'm 17 and attending college in the UK.
    I've looked on the KRCS website and the price for the 13" MBP is listed as £858.93. Would I still be able to get the same price in the Apple store bullring?
    Also, would my college ID be enough to bring? It's got a photo and the name of the college i attend etc.

Thanks.