HE purchase - AppleCare transferable if I sell MBP in future?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RealEvil, Oct 27, 2008.

1. RealEvil macrumors 6502

Hi,

I just got off the phone with Apple UK (HE). The guy told me if I sell the machine the new owner cannot take the balance of the AppleCare unless they are a student too. This didnt sound right to me and I am sure when I ordered my iMac earlier this year I was told that I could sell the AppleCare to anyone. The guy didnt sound too clued up, hence this post.

Anybody know for sure? I dont actually want to buy it for myself, only if I sell the laptop in the future - I get a 3 years warranty anyway as im a student but that apparently definitely is not transferable.

Neil

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare is fully transferable, whether the new buyer is a student or not.
    From the AppleCare Protection Plan:

3. majorp macrumors 6502

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That only tells the current status of the Warranty/AppleCare. It doesn't say anything about whether or not it can be transferred, so it doesn't answer the OP's question.

5. RealEvil thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - that sounds pretty conclusive to me.

Cheers,

Neil

6. mattmartincouk macrumors newbie

Yes, it is. I had HE AppleCare with my first mac in Oct 06. Sold it in Dec 07 and the new owner has used AppleCare twice and the store moved it over to their name too.

7. stark4 macrumors 6502

do they ask for any proof of plan purchase to the new owner? or they just change the name just like that without any proof? coz i want to do the same thing.

Thanks

8. mattmartincouk macrumors newbie

She just went in there and changed it. Not sure they should have done that but hey.

I would imagine that most stores will ask the old owner to request it (either via phone or something).