HE student discount. In store and online??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hodgey1989, May 24, 2009.

1. hodgey1989 macrumors member

Im looking at getting a uMBP with the UK HE discount of 14% and would much rather buy it in store than online.

Do you know if this discount is available in store as i've only ever heard people talk about it being an online discount.

2. thomasp macrumors 6502a

It should be, along with the AppleCare discounts. Take your student ID card in and they'll take down the details and check that you are actually a student and its valid ID.

Always best to phone the store up and double check beforehand though, just in case :)

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Just go to the Apple Store with a valid ID or letter of registration. As long as your school is on the list, they'll give you the discount.

4. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

If you purchase in a store then they will normally give you some discount and a lower price for applecare; however, you get a better deal online or by phone.

Any laptops/desktops purchased via the apple HE store through your university network, or over the phone (using the special phone number for education individuals) have a substantial discount (eg, White MacBook goes from £719 down to ~£618), and they are covered by 3 years parts and labour and one year phone support as standard.

This is because the Universities' Apple Computer Group negotiated a National Higher Education Contract that is valid until September 2010. This covers any purchases made by students at UK universities online or on the phone. (Google UACG and see for yourself).

Apple has been very good at not communicating the 3 year warranty to students, and many people spend an extra £40 for applecare without needing too (the only difference is 3 years phone support).

I strongly recommend phoning them and clearly stating that "I would like to purchase a 'insert product here' under the terms of the UK HE contract..."

Even the people at apple call centres are sometimes unclear about the 3 year warranty, so when you get the product phone apple, read the serial number and ask whether they have acknowledged that the product was sold under the HE contract. If they say no you are fully within your rights to return it and demand a full refund as the specifically asked on the phone, and by distance selling laws (if you say this they may well cave and send you confirmation).

But I know someone who bought a MacBook online and received an email confirming 3 year warranty, but that was about 3 months later!

Please note- This only applies to UK students!

5. kurosov macrumors 6502a

i got my 20" imac for £830 with student discount by simply showing my NUS card in store. £10 for a card with over £100 savings was a great deal imo.

I also got the NUS card just for doing an OU course part time :p

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Disregard some of the above.

You can get the UK HE discount with full terms at an Apple Store.

7. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

The UK HE contract clearly states-

"Routes to Purchase
    Apple offers a number of routes to purchase including via the Internet using the dedicated Higher Education AppleStore, by phone or fax and by e-mail."

The agreement does not transcend to physical stores, as they operate under a different set of terms and conditions.

I have different stories from students going into stores, it is often quite easy to get the 'full' online discount, but the 3 year warranty is more difficult. Some staff offer to include the 3 years if asked about it, others simply say that it only applies online/phone.

By all means go in and try to get 3 years as standard (if they have had a slow week they may be happy to) but remember that there is no contractual obligation for them to offer it.

8. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Wait. Can US students take advantage of the HE?

9. Aboo macrumors 6502a

No. See iStudentUK's post above as it details it pretty clearly.