Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
In short...

So I went into my apple store to buy a Macbook which ended up taking like 2 hours...

First problem was a silly assistant that wouldn't give me the higher education discount. I could have bought it online the night before with the HE discount via a store chat custom basket but wanted to go and pick it up myself. Eventually got an sort of manager to give me the discount... he said its not a problem... SORTED

THEN, tried to sell me applecare to extend the warranty to 3 years (36months). I had a feeling that I had read that it was a standard 36 months warranty on HE purchases. He didn't believe me so discussed it until I eventually pulled up apples terms and conditions for HE customers and shown him section 10.1.1

Link: http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk_inst/Images/salespolicies_individual.html

He went away (like the 20th time) and came back and said some uni's offer this 36 month warranty and they are responsible for it sort of thing. But I would have to buy it through their network. (Which is NOT stated anywhere in the T&C)

Now I'm a 2009 applicant via UCAS and haven't accepted my offers yet. So this wasn't an option.

After 2 hours I got fed up and walked off.

Came back 10 mins later and bought my 2.4GHz Alu Macbook whilst keeping in mind that I could bring it back in 14 days if I changed my mind... I might go back for the applecare for £47. I couldn't buy it at the time as I didn't have the money and they would NOT budge on price.

Does anyone actually know what the warranty is and should I go back for the applecare or am I covered?

Thanks for your time and effort,
Luke

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
The Manager was right. To get the 3yrs HE discount warranty you DO have to buy it via your institution's network. A brick & mortar store can only give you the £47 discount of AppleCare. Its important to note that Apple Online stores differ from their retail counterparts which means differing policies between both

Its a pain but...

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
You are fine for a year. But if you want to be covered after that, make sure that you buy before the end of the year.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
The national contract for IT only covers machines bought via the education store online (accessed from a university computer), or via the telephone sales team. In addition, it is only for computers (and one screen if purchased at the same time) - you can't, for example, buy a Cinema Display at any point and get the extra three years HE warranty.

I would go back and buy that AppleCare...if they'll let you. You may have to technically "return" that MacBook, and buy it again with AppleCare as you're supposed to get them at the same time to get the discounted price.

sjwk

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
Oxford
THEN, tried to sell me applecare to extend the warranty to 3 years (36months). I had a feeling that I had read that it was a standard 36 months warranty on HE purchases. He didn't believe me so discussed it until I eventually pulled up apples terms and conditions for HE customers and shown him section 10.1.1

OK, I have no idea about buying from an Apple store since we only order via the HE store online.. However, I think we get some sort of odd hybrid applecare. It does provide 3 years hardware cover rather than 12 months, but it doesn't provide all the facilities of applecare unless we pay an additional ~50 quid. ie, we have to take/send the computer away ourselves whereas with the upgraded applecare I believe means they will collect? I'm a bit unsure on that. (And given that Dell etc all offer next day onsite warranty, the fact the machine has to go away for a week even with applecare is still a bit of a sore point).

So, yes, you and the store person are probably both right - we do get 3 years as standard, but there is an optional 47 pound upgrade to that.

If you're a 2009 applicant and not actually an HE student (yet), you're possibly not actually eligible for the HE pricing or HE options so probably can't argue too hard about not getting the same deal as you would be able to get going through your University once you have started your course.

Steve.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
should I go back and buy applecare?

You can either return the system and buy afresh which isn't likely to go smoothly or head over to ebay and get an AppleCare code for cheap..probably not as cheap as £47 though

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I'll try ringing up or going on store chat and blagging it saying that I was told I could add applecare for £47 within 14 days.

I know I shouldn't have the HE discount yet as I'm not at uni yet but I checked on the store chat beforehand and he said it wouldn't be a problem at all and I could have even bought it that night with the HE discount.

If nothing works I'll go back into the store and try and blag it... if not then I'll be very annoyed and take my macbook back after doing a backup so when I get it again I can recover everything I have set up.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
OK, I have no idea about buying from an Apple store since we only order via the HE store online.. However, I think we get some sort of odd hybrid applecare. It does provide 3 years hardware cover rather than 12 months, but it doesn't provide all the facilities of applecare unless we pay an additional ~50 quid. ie, we have to take/send the computer away ourselves whereas with the upgraded applecare I believe means they will collect? I'm a bit unsure on that. (And given that Dell etc all offer next day onsite warranty, the fact the machine has to go away for a week even with applecare is still a bit of a sore point).

The HE contract is indeed not full AppleCare - it is simply a hardware warranty extension. You still only get 90 days telephone support (AppleCare ups it to three years), and it is a "return to base" rather than on-site.

That said, AppleCare no longer offer the option of being sent a box to return your faulty hardware. They used to, but now they have a retail presence everything is handled via the Apple Stores, unless your institution has a service contract (and this won't cover individuals' personal computers).

Essentially, that "AppleCare" upgrade gives you the full telephone support and not much else. However, if you're buying in-store, it is a must-buy as you aren't eligible for the HE deal.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Can anyone confirm that the repairs are no longer handled by courier even if you buy AppleCare? That seems a little odd.

My nearest Apple Store is in Glasgow, and that's a two hour round trip. Surely they can't expect people to make journeys like this to have faulty equipment repaired?

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Can anyone confirm that the repairs are no longer handled by courier even if you buy AppleCare? That seems a little odd.

My nearest Apple Store is in Glasgow, and that's a two hour round trip. Surely they can't expect people to make journeys like this to have faulty equipment repaired?

They'll give you the address of a closer reseller/service provider if possible. I got told to go to a reseller, or make the hour and a half trip to Birmingham to get one of my ACDs fixed. Needless to say, I went to Birmingham.

I personally find it to be a real step backward. In 2004 they had no hesitation in sending engineers out to your house to pick up the faulty equipment, and now you're forced to go into stores or other providers - yet the cost is the same, and there's not really that many stores in all honesty, leaving huge coverage gaps.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Ok well going to a store won't be a problem for me but I'd imagine its a bit crappy for most people, I'm lucky to have a a store close to my home and wherever I go uni.

Well I went town today to go cinema and went into the store and spoke to 3 employee's before speaking to the manager that served me last saturday and the manager didn't hesitate so I have applecare now for £47, just about to register it. :)

sjwk

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
Oxford
They'll give you the address of a closer reseller/service provider if possible. I got told to go to a reseller, or make the hour and a half trip to Birmingham to get one of my ACDs fixed. Needless to say, I went to Birmingham.

I personally find it to be a real step backward. In 2004 they had no hesitation in sending engineers out to your house to pick up the faulty equipment, and now you're forced to go into stores or other providers - yet the cost is the same, and there's not really that many stores in all honesty, leaving huge coverage gaps.

Indeed - and all the other companies I buy computers from manage to provide 3 year onsite next day support, so Apple's support is a bit outdated. I hadn't realised they'd removed the pickup from the applecare uplift - if the only difference now is telephone support I think I'll stop going for it!

I'm sure you've seen it, but there is now a 3rd party Apple shop in Oxford that does in-warranty repairs, but my own experiences and that of colleagues haven't been great. Not bad as such, but just not great. I wanted to get a failed battery swapped for my Macbook (I know it's the battery - I've swapped batteries with another machine and the fault moves with the battery and it matches symptoms and serial number with a known battery fault). They wanted to send the whole laptop away to their Bristol workshop 'because it might be the logic board', then spent 10 minutes reading out every number including copyright date to someone on the phone, then decided they couldn't do anything with the machine anyway unless I brought in a receipt showing I'd bought it with Applecare (no, it's HE - and it shows a contract status if I type the serial number in online). And they didn't stock batteries anyway so I'd have to order one in from their Bristol shop. Which defeated the point of having a local shop.

Anyway, that's going off on a tangential rant :) It's still useful to have a place to send people who are thinking about buying a Mac or have a problem, even if they can't repair things there and can't offer HE pricing...

Steve.

flipshot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Hertfordshire, UK
The HE contract is indeed not full AppleCare - it is simply a hardware warranty extension. You still only get 90 days telephone support (AppleCare ups it to three years), and it is a "return to base" rather than on-site.

The telephone support gets extended to 1 year with the HE Warranty. You have to make sure the warranty actually gets applied on there systems though. They sent me an email about a month after I purchased my iMac saying that my warranty had been extended to 3 years but it never actually updated itself on apples systems so when I typed in my Serial number on the support site it said the warranty was only for 1 year.

When I came to need to use the warranty I rung them and they told me they couldn't do anything as my warranty had expired. I knew this wasn't true as I had the email that said my warranty didn't expire until 2010. So they passed me from department to department and I had to forward this email to them and eventually they updated it on their system. Didn't actually need to use the warranty after all that though, turned out the next software update fixed it.

Very few people at apple seem to know about the extended warranty for HE purchases though. When I was telling them on the phone they seemed very confused which is why they kept passing me around.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I'm sure you've seen it, but there is now a 3rd party Apple shop in Oxford that does in-warranty repairs, but my own experiences and that of colleagues haven't been great. Not bad as such, but just not great. I wanted to get a failed battery swapped for my Macbook (I know it's the battery - I've swapped batteries with another machine and the fault moves with the battery and it matches symptoms and serial number with a known battery fault). They wanted to send the whole laptop away to their Bristol workshop 'because it might be the logic board', then spent 10 minutes reading out every number including copyright date to someone on the phone, then decided they couldn't do anything with the machine anyway unless I brought in a receipt showing I'd bought it with Applecare (no, it's HE - and it shows a contract status if I type the serial number in online). And they didn't stock batteries anyway so I'd have to order one in from their Bristol shop. Which defeated the point of having a local shop.

Western Computers ;)
They currently have my MacBook Pro in for repair, and I'm hoping they'll actually fix the damn thing. Whilst it is useful having them local, I find it *so* much easier dealing with Apple Bullring. Western want the computer for 7 days minimum, whereas Apple will usually decide on the spot what needs doing and have it done within a few days. Shame that Birmingham is a royal pain to get to!

I generally still buy "full" AppleCare on my systems simply to ensure that when I sell the machine it'll be covered and it gives some protection to the new buyer - they always like to see AppleCare being mentioned.

afters

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2009
London
Strangely enough I've had 2 pick-ups for repair in the past 2 months for my macbook. The first time the service rep recommended that I go to an authorised repair centre (which was actually further than an Apple store). When I hesitated and said it would be difficult for me to get there and whether I could actually have it picked up from home, he agreed and organised the pick-up. The next time I called, the service rep actually asked if I wanted it handled like last time or whether I would take it in myself.

I've got the white pre-SR Macbook with the ~£50 upgrade btw. Maybe it's been changed recently, and newer contracts aren't covered?

The SpinDoctor

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
May I ask what kind of evidence you took into the store to prove you were going through UCAS, and which store?

I'll be (most likely) applying this September and could really use the discount.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Ya sure, Well it took some time and I wasn't supposed to have got the HE discount but if you nag enough they get the manager (I asked for him) and then he said it wouldn't be a problem after one of the employees going to ask him the same question 3 times...

I got my UCAS application up on one of the iMacs and logged in to show that I had received some offers and I said that it's the second most competitive courses so I was definitely going to go to uni and do it.

I went to the Leicester store but I would imagine they would all be the same just go the the closest one to you.

I had already applied a long time ago and been to interviews, open days and received offers and I just got the discount... anything less you may not.

The SpinDoctor

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
Ya sure, Well it took some time and I wasn't supposed to have got the HE discount but if you nag enough they get the manager (I asked for him) and then he said it wouldn't be a problem after one of the employees going to ask him the same question 3 times...

I got my UCAS application up on one of the iMacs and logged in to show that I had received some offers and I said that it's the second most competitive courses so I was definitely going to go to uni and do it.

I went to the Leicester store but I would imagine they would all be the same just go the the closest one to you.

I had already applied a long time ago and been to interviews, open days and received offers and I just got the discount... anything less you may not.

That's good, i'm near Croydon(ugh) so London is the closet, though my aunt lives near Leicester, might try up north if it doesn't work in London.

Thanks again for the info, may I as what course, I'm thinking of doing Computer Science, but not 100% sure where.....

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Wish you well in getting the discount but the chance is small... Apple don't often check things like where people are at a uni, you may want to research what they need a bit more and maybe tell a little lie?

I'm going to be doing architecture. Not sure if I'll go the whole way with it but the chances are high... I tend to sway to product design quite a bit more but architecture is more challenging, much larger scale and much more exciting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.