Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leahp81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
i recently got a new 11" mba... for the most part, i like the colors / saturation the way it is right now, except the whites just seem TOO white and it's blinding enough that i'm getting nauseous from looking at it for too long. i didn't have this problem with my late 2008 macbook. and simply turning down the brightness doesn't solve the problem.

i've been searching through this forum for advice on how to get the display calibration just right, and tried some of the other .icc files i found here. none of them seem to be just right. any advice? should i take it to the genius bar? i feel like they won't help much =/

Last edited:

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
Return it for a bigger screen, say the 13" MacBook Air. Perhaps it's the high resolution on such a small screen. Excluding the nauseation, I also had a headache, eye-ache, and not to mention neck strain when I used the 11". I think there's little to nothing a Genius can do for you in this situation.

Last edited:

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
i recently got a new 11" mba... for the most part, i like the colors / saturation the way it is right now, except the whites just seem TOO white and it's blinding enough that i'm getting nauseous from looking at it for too long. i didn't have this problem with my late 2008 macbook. and simply turning down the brightness doesn't solve the problem.

i've been searching through this forum for advice on how to get the display calibration just right, and tried some of the other .icc files i found here. none of them seem to be just right. any advice? should i take it to the genius bar? i feel like they won't help much =/

If it is the white you're getting nauseated from, you could try to run a screen calibration in systemprefs->screen->color->calibrate or what ever it is called in English.
But if you're a bit older (and that could be as young as 35-40) you could need reading glasses....

icanboogie

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
Berlin
Reading glasses is no help for FAULTY display.

..but they are for faulty eyes....:roll eyes:

seriously, I do not think this is any fault of the display. the high pixel density can cause the eye strain and other related issues, even nausea. get closer to it, get glasses or get a different computer.

I experienced similar stuff with a 17 hi-res, but I got used to it. I bought an external 26" display with a low pixel density of 1920x1200 (instead of 26XX or whatever the new 27 iMacs and Displays have) exactly for that reason, so I don't have to sit too close to have a comfortable view.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Return it for a bigger screen, say the 13" MacBook Air. Perhaps it's the high resolution on such a small screen.

The 13" MacBook Air has about the same resolution as the 11" (calculated in PPI of course, 128 vs 135). So if it is the pixel density that is the problem, the 13" MBA won't help.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Like others have said, the nausea is likely caused by your eyesight not adjusting to the high PPI of the screen.

I don't believe a white background alone can make you feel nauseated? :confused: It's far more likely to be caused by discomfort and eye-strain.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada

Calibrate your screen - problem solved.

The screen is too white / 'contrasty' for you that's all. You can fix no problem.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

Many people (myself included) got sick when looking at LED screens at first, it does go away once you get used to it. One thing I found helpful was just to reduce the screen brightness.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I know how you feel

I had the same problem on the bus and brought mine back and talked to a genius. She blamed it on font size and suggested I tried one with less reflective background and with larger fonts, until she got quite upset with me for being called a genius. She insisted that she's a librarian :)

But seriously, op, I suspect that the problem you are having similar to reading on a bus or a moving vehicle. For me I can't read fine prints under that environment, but larger prints are better, and I do better with practice. I don't think mine has to do with the white background, but I do prefer book printed on warmer paper. What make the most difference for me is the font size.

So, you may get used to it. If you don't, it's probably not worth getting a MBA. I can't imagine putting up with headache and nausea every time I use a computer. It's just a tool. If it doesn't work, try another tool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.