Headaches at MacMall

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CKtoph, Dec 27, 2007.

1. CKtoph macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I was just curious...has anyone else received TERRIBLE customer service through Macmall? Maybe it's just because of the holidays, but the headaches that they have caused me from just trying to order a few items have been horrendous. :mad:

First, let's start with the customer reps. I'm perfectly ok with people with accents. I've had plenty of times when I had to make a call to an outsourcing company overseas and dealt perfectly fine. My problem was not simply a thick accent, but the fact that the majority of the customer reps were unable to communicate the task at hand or understand what I was trying to say.

Beyond that, I was charged twice for the same item, once through Macmall and once through PCmall. After calling them again, and holding for about 15 minutes, I was told that this happened due to a known computer glitch (that they have not bothered to solve) and that the extra charge will be automatically removed tomorrow.

These are just two of many annoyances I've had to deal with this past week with them. Anyone else experience this with Macmall before?

Sorry, just needed to vent...

2. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I'm really sorry to hear about your bad experience and hope everything works out well. I used to use MacMall exclusively and had no problems, but that was years ago. I'm sorry to hear that they are going downhill . . . .

3. Hmac macrumors 68020

I've had a business account with them for years, but over the last couple of years have quit using them altogether because of astonishingly bad customer service.

If you think THAT MacMall issue is a headache, try claiming even ONE of the convoluted myriad of rebate offers they are continually hawking. Pretty cumbersome process, but if they can't confuse you enough to give up on claiming one, they may very well end up just shredding it and telling you to pi$$ off if you call them about it.

Look at their ratings on resellerratings.com. Pretty pathetic.

4. CKtoph thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm beginning to think this is just the beginning for me then. I have 2 rebate offers that I need to try and claim once my shipment arrives. This is definitely my last time dealing with them.

5. hauntedcity macrumors member

hauntedcity

I'm in a battle to get one of my rebates. They sent me a letter saying they're not paying because I sent an incorrect proof of purchase. That's what we in the business call "a lie".

I hereby vow never to order from MacMall again. The worst thing is that I read all the same posts that you're probably reading now. I read that they were unreliable with rebates, and that I shouldn't count on them. Sigh.

6. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I bought from MacMall on 11/30 and got my MBP on 12/5. Their customer service is nonexistent. And you're right about the lack of English-speakers. Plus, they don't respond to emails. Your best bet is to just go to sleep until you get your stuff. I finally got rebate info, saying they're processing them (one showed up online a week after the other). Hopefully, I'll actually get the checks in 6 to 8 weeks (I stopped checking the online status thingy). They have, so far, delivered on their promises.

7. Hmac macrumors 68020

As a long-time amateur photographer, I've been buying camera equipment from B&H Photovideo since long before there even WAS an internet. They have never let me down, and although the communication style of their customer service people tends to be "New York Brusque", they are helpful, efficient, and utterly reliable in my experience over the last 30 years.

B&H has been carrying Mac computers for some time, but mostly as BTO photo and video editing workstations. When I decided to come back to Macintosh about 6 months ago, I ordered the Mac Pro, two 30" ACD's, a bunch of software, and more recently, a MacBook Pro. Free shipping, no sales tax, arrived promptly, absolutely no hassles. I'll never go back to MacMall. Who needs that crap?

8. CKtoph thread starter macrumors 6502

It gives me a bit of peace of mind that I wasn't the only one who experienced this.

My fiancee is planning on buying a new laptop in a few months, and originally I was thinking of looking at the deals that MacMall had to offer, but after my own experiences and all of the comments, I am definitely never going to bother with them again.

9. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Yeah, MacMall is a big headache. I deal either with Apple themselves or MacConnection.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've had many successful orders from MacMall, both through their consumer sales and through their business sales. I had one case of a mishandled rebate but no troubles with payment, delivery, or quality of merchandise.

However, I've heard about so many MacMall problems from so many MacRumors forum members that I'm convinced that my one-person's experience isn't important. Overall, there have been enough anecdotal reports that I think a warning makes sense:
    MacMall is hard to do business with because of bad customer service.​

11. Bruse macrumors newbie

Earlier today I was on the phone with Macmall, and it sucks that some of you are having problems too.

So, on december 1st I ordered stuff from them, newegg, and buy.com. By the time Macmall sent me an email saying there was some sort of problem with my order, more than a week later, I had already received the other shipments. And according to them at the time the problem they were having was that my billing address was no good, which was a lie. I checked with my bank at the time and the address I gave was what they had and there were no other problems. Then on about the 22nd I checked the order status online and it says 'Canceled by Customer'. I didn't do that, so I email their customer service, and get no reply.

So I wait until today and call them. The first time I get through to a representative he asks for the order number then puts me on hold and after five minutes either the call gets dropped or he hung up on me, take your pick. On the second try the lady I was connected to was sorry that this error had occurred, and was more then happy to transfer me to someone who could reinstate my order, but she couldn't give me a satisfactory answer for why this happened in the first place, so after fifteen minutes and three attempts to forward me, I get her supervisor.

He is able to explain to me that because I used a different shipping and billing addresses and called from a number other than the one that I had gave them that I set off some fraud flag, So because I have a PO box as my billing address and called them from my cell I'm a scam artist? Wonderful. The supervisor said that he will arrange for two ladies from other departments to call me back in a conference call and they should be able to sort it out.

For some reason the conference call never materialized, but after calling me back about five times the lady on the line was able to resolve the initial problem they had with my addresses and offered me free overnight shipping. I went on to ask her to make sure what I ordered was in stock and find out if it would ship today. I was told that there was some glitch in system at the moment, and so she could only guarantee that it would arrive by january second, but if it did ship today it would get here tomorrow. Well ok, good enough. She ended the call with a standard 'thanks for calling, is there anything else I can help you with' and added 'I hope you'll continue to purchase from us in the future'. It felt so good to respond 'nah, its not gonna happen'.

And now that I've gotten the confirmation email, I'm kinda doubting that they had a computer glitch. It seems that my order is shipping out via FedEx Standard Overnight (by 3pm). Are they that incompetent or do they just not care?

12. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Both. I had a similar problem with my order - different billing and shipping addresses. I emailed them the next day because it hadn't shipped yet, and they replied with a number to call to verify the difference in addresses. It's a good thing I emailed right away, or they would have done to me what they did to you. AND - that was the only email out of probably ten they replied to. They made good on all their promises - well, the rebates haven't come yet - but their customer service is horrible.