Headaches, Dizziness, sickness iphone 5/S?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Peter Franks, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

I've seen a load of threads all over the www and on here about the cause of headaches, dizziness etc and thought it all in the head, but have to say.... After 3 years on the iphone 4, and zero complaints, a few days on the 5S, and I am experiencing head pain and dizziness after talking on the phone. That can't be a coincidence, after I've gone 3 years and not had any pain from the 4.

Just wondered how widespread it it, and am seriously considering going back to the pain of the dodgy home button on the 4. The threads all mention it's the noise cancellation that you can turn off. Didn't make a difference for me. Why was it narrowed down to this as opposed to something like a larger magnet or whatever, something else?

Anyone have any thoughts on this now and more importantly some help? Was it much talked about with the 5, I've seen a few on here from last year about it, but was it resolved or is this still a problem?

2. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

I've owned the iPhone 5 since day one and never ever had any sort of problems.

It's the NSA and they put something in ios7

Happy New Year

3. silverboy31 macrumors regular

silverboy31

I assume your on iOS 7 with a 5s ... Just turn on reduce motion in the settings> general> accessibility > reduce motion > slide to on ... If that doesn't help I'm not sure what your headaches would be caused by ..

4. Peter Franks, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014

Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks, I just saw there was a lot more of it than I realised, mostly with 5, more than 5S but assume the same feedback. Definitely nothing like this on the 4

Silver, What is the 'reduce motion'? is that not relevant to viewing phone, or calls too?

Apologies if I didn't make it clear, it's when phone held to head whilst on a call, not viewing the screen.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Are you sure it's not what the caller is telling you that's causing the headache? :D

Well then it sounds like a solid, repeatable issue. Getting rid of the phone seems like the only solution, unless you want to try a headset.

6. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

My suggestion is to try earbuds or a bluetooth earpiece and see if it makes a difference.

7. I7guy macrumors G5

You might have a rare condition whereby the emission pattern of radio waves is interfering with your inner ear balance mechanisms.

Good luck in tracking this down.

8. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. But if it's a rare condition why only this phone not the 4? Wonder what's causing it.

Bluetooth headset is fine when driving but not always practical indoors. I'd like to be able to hold phone to head instead of always being connected to one.

For the record there is no pain from the headset. It's only when phone is by ear. There must be something far stronger in the 5S than there was in my old 4.

9. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Are the symptoms immediate? Are you within your exchange window? If yes to both, why don't you make a backup of your data (iTunes or iCloud) and take your iPhone back to the Apple Store. Exchange it for a different unit. It could be that you have a dud.

Keep us posted and Good Luck! :)

EDIT: I see that in your OP you said "after a few days". Do the symptoms subside quicker than they appear? You should try to be asymptomatic when you go to the store so that you can be at your best when trying to explain but don't minimize the discomfort that you feel.

10. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Just outside window. Just lost a parent so I didn't switch from 4 to 5S when it arrived, obviously wasn't in the mood to switch when it delivered, so It's over the 14 days exchange with network. About 3 weeks old.

It's immediate, while I'm on it and afterwards. If you search for 'pain in ear from iphone 5s' on google you'll see a lot of headaches/dizziness/earache. It's more the pain in side of head that I don't like. Am using Bluetooth which is OK but not ideal all the time.

Do the Apple stores exchange with a boxed sealed brand new, even though it was supplied and delivered by the network?

Thanks for your help.

11. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I wouldn't want to speculate on policy since I'm in the U.S. and you don't appear to be (going by your membership location) but I think that it's worth a shot, explaining your family's special circumstance and that it's so close date-wise. You're not seeking a refund or to swap colors or anything frivolous and that fact is in your favor. You just want to see if there's something wrong that an exchange of hardware would remedy.

Although you could start at the carrier store, l think I'd go to Apple, too, because they may have a larger inventory and might be more inclined to help you for the sake of brand good will & a satisfied customer. A kind attitude when seeking assistance will go a long way and most people want to help others when it's possible.

Anyway, that's what I'd do. :) My condolences on your loss; I lost my dad in 1994. :(

12. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for your help, and your kind words too. Yes, also was my Dad. It really hits you. Nobody prepares you for that one. Thanks again. I'll go into Apple next week and see what they say. Let you know.

13. I7guy macrumors G5

Have you tried to turn off noise cancellation? The device is warranties for a year, so you should be able to get a swap.

14. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes I had. Thanks.

I've sent back once before to my carrier, Orange/EE a brand new one a good few years ago within first month. Not an iPhone. And they sent back a recon which they said was normal procedure. Never sent back an iPhone before though. Never had a problem with new ones. But within first 30 days they do send a recon if after 7-14 days.

Stupid question I know, but the fact it's a 32GB and not the standard 16 wouldn't have anything to do with it would it? Yes, it was a stupid question.

15. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

In terms of the headache/dizziness issue you've been having? The storage size wouldn't play a role in that.

This kind of issue isn't unheard of, different radio frequencies, etc.. can affect certain people differently, some are more sensitive to these kinds of things.

I don't think it's an issue with a specific device - but unfortunately it may just mean the new iPhone's are not for you. Not your fault, but I hope you can get it figured out!

16. Mrbobb macrumors 601

To answer all those questions swirling in your mind will require a consultant with all the proper test equipment, take you into a CAT scanner and about $50,000 then we will know for sure.

17. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. Just curious to know why 3 years of the iPhone 4 was without any head twinges at all. And this one is so different. Obviously has a much stronger signal/aerial possibly.

Real shame because every other aspect of this phone is so much better. The speeds of it compared to the 4 are a godsend. And a home button that is responsive makes a nice change too!

Don't fancy the 4S much and why only the 8GB version in store!? Strange

I'll give the CAT scan a swerve thanks.

18. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

OK, rang local Apple store....

When they do replace them in-store, are they reconditioned units or do they take a new one out of the box. They said I had to make an appointment to replace mine, but when I do, I'm only to bring the phone, not box and contents? Does this mean it's probably not a new one? We wouldn't be able to tell anyway would we, let's be honest

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I believe you can tell if you have a refurb but I forget how.
    Honestly, if you experience this issue again with another iPhone then you need to seek medical attention and quite possibly, switch phones.

20. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The Apple store will replace it with a bare phone in a white service box. You can keep your accessories and original box. The replacement may or may not be refurbished or contain refurbished parts. It's all in the fine print of your warranty.

Before you goto the Apple store, here is an experiment: Go into Settings > Cellular and toggle the "Enable LTE" switch off. Does that help your headaches?

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Might be worth trying to disable WiFi as well. Perhaps trying different options, LTE, mobile data, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.

However, have earlier suggestions as far as visual tweaks been tried? Definitely enabling reduce motion in accessibility settings, perhaps even enabling increase contrast, as well as bold and/or larger text? It might seem like things are just related to talking on the phone, but it might be some sort of delayed or cumulative reaction to using he phone itself.

22. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Maybe go back to the 4 and suffer the slowness and crappy home button. It's an option but I'd rather not...

I don't have that option, 'Enable LTE' in 'Cellular'? only 'Enable 4G', but that's off because I'm on a 3G network.

All those settings other than LTE I think were on the 4 and were all OK. Even the reduce motion one was OK. I never got a twinge from the 4 in 3 years. I also used someone elses Nokia Windows phone yesterday and no pain at all. I only use bluetooth when in car and WiFi occasionally.

Thanks for your answers guys

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

I would say despite all those options being OK on another phone, it might be worth trying it on the new one. There's new hardware in play, and even the same things can be done differently (even if it doesn't seem like they are).

24. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep, you're right, Is the LTE the same as the 4G toggle I have that's off?

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's generally the case--usually depending on the carrier it will either be 4G or LTE.