headed to Afghanistan, need sand protection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vastoholic, Mar 31, 2010.

1. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I have just got back form there and used no protection for my 13" MBP apart from chucking it in my Bergen inside a Tucano case. Just blew it out with compressed air and it had less in it then when I went on pre training out in Africa.

Mine has no screen damage and did not get overly warm from what it is here in the Uk except for when I first gout out there in the height of summer.

2. vastoholic thread starter macrumors 68000

vastoholic

3. rwd hero macrumors 6502

I can defiantly attest to how nice this product is. I just got the rubber plugs for the MBP and they are really nice.

4. PAC88 macrumors 6502

you can shrink wrap it in the open position.. that would also waterproof it

5. rwd hero macrumors 6502

LoL

6. lyons238 macrumors 6502

not gonna lie i like that idea. but i have a feeling that would cause a problem because there needs to be air flowing in/out of the laptop

7. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

8. bsblvnv macrumors regular

I can tell you from experience the best way I found was to really just do your best to take care of it, then when you get out of the desert use the air cans and go at it. No matter what protection you use you are going to get sand in it. Just do your best not to have it out in the wind and clean it as often as you can. BTW shrink wrap = bad idea. It's gonna be 120F outside and with no air getting inside you MB would fry in ten minutes, but I'm sure you already knew that.

9. vastoholic thread starter macrumors 68000

vastoholic