Headed to Afghanistan..which iPad should I get??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mdlooker, Mar 7, 2011.

1. mdlooker, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I wonder if I should get the 32 or 64G? I will be using it for watching tv shows and movies. There are about 4gigs of pics on my iphone. I heard the 3G will work with chips over there with a little altering. What do you think?

2. EnialusMeliamne macrumors member

May want to invest in a laptop, drop stuff in iTunes, then refresh as needed to your iPad. If you're going to one of the bigger bases, wifi will be available, but horribly slow. Bring your iPhone, but engage airplane mode so you don't get smacked with roaming. Good for wifi hot spots where your iPad might be to cumbersome. Roshon is crap, but you can find flipphones on it. Godspeed to ya. And thanks for your service. P.s. Otter Box is your friend.

3. EnialusMeliamne macrumors member

To answer the original question, 32 might be the way to go. 3G if you're not going to hotspot your iPhone when in the states.

4. mdlooker thread starter macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Yea I'm gonna be on a FOB and away from those big bases. I have a laptop with itunes on it but last time that dag on thing was so slow. So I'm thinking to have a more independance here. Otterbox said it will be a couple of months before they'll have a case ready for the 2.

5. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

Been there twice. Don't bring one there. It will just get f'd up, broken or stolen.

6. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I wish you well on your deployment. Return home safely and thank you for serving.

7. hoofbite macrumors member

I think the otterbox solves the getting broken problem, but as the OP said it won't be ready for a few months (possibly not ready in time for his deployment).

I'd go with the 32gig, but if you plan to install a lot of movies on it then you might want to invest in the 64gig. A 32gig could fit about 12-18 movies/tv shows (depending on length; not including music and other things you might install on it).

All the best, thanks for your service mdlooker!

8. mdlooker thread starter macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Hmm..

Thanks all...I'm really interested in the 3G as I think it may serve for some nice skype if the MWR is too crowded and stuff like that. Well I hope I can use their chip over there instead of an ATT chip. 64G? I know the 32G but I guess I'm not considering all that I may be using it for.